What's new

Harman Kardan DPR 1001 w/Aperion Audio is like driving an Audi. (1 Viewer)

Gregg Murray

Auditioning
Since I relied a lot on this site in researching the new audio portion of my home theater system, I thought I'd give back my thoughts on the final system.

My LR is 15x25 with hardwood floors and the following new system works perfect for me. If it were a car, I would say it is equivalent to an Audi A4-A6.

Receiver: $749 at J&R: Harman Kardon DPR 1001 (was considering the HK 325/525 but listened to these units side by side and the DPR 1001 was much much cleaner and the smaller weight and size due to the digital processor is great, and the unit does not need a fan unlike most home theater receivers).

Speakers: $1399 at aperionaudio.com: Aperion Audio 5.1 w/ 10' sub (plus 2 in the multi-room setup with the HK receiver great for the bathroom, basement, bedroom or garage)

Wires: Home Depot 12 gauge w/ gold banana plugs (perfect choice and only 34 cents a foot for the wire)

Cables: Mix of standard, S-video, and coaxial

..plus I have my first TiVo and it is AWESOME!!!

I previously had a Sony ES receiver, Monitor Audio Gold fronts with Boston rears, center, and sub.

There is no comparison. The new set up was worth the $2500 I put into it top to bottom. I smile everyday when something comes through the new digital receiver and 5.1 Aperion speakers.

Now if I can just get that HDTV flat screen I will be set.

If you are considering any of the pieces or cables from this system I've put together, go for it! I refuse to believe you will not be ecstatic with all the sound that comes from this set up

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
You must not listen to this at louder volumes because it sounds like crap at vol ( big time clipping ). I don't like HK much myself but I will say that the 525 is a pretty nice unit & it puts the DPR to shame IMHO.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
...was considering the HK 325/525 but listened to these units side by side and the DPR 1001 was much much cleaner...
That's interesting, because I think the 525 sounds much better than the 1001. I recently compared them, and at levels of -20db and above, the 525 sounded much better.

Users who are viewing this thread