What's new

HK-525 won't do Dolby Digital!! Why? (1 Viewer)

Halen

Stunt Coordinator
I hooked up my 525 to my Axiom Speakers last night. To get ready for the event I purchased the T2-Extream DVD and the Edition of "Gladiator" with the DTS-ES soundtrack. I've gone in through the menus of the HK and set everthing up for DD-EX, but the only way I can get surround sound is by using DTS:neo6! I can't even force the reciever to use DD or DTS, or DD-EX or DTS-ES because it won't give me those options!! I'm using a Sony DVPNC665P (a 5 disk DVD changer). I've tried using both Coax and Optical digital inputs. I've tried using other DVDs, all of which had the DD stamp on them, but nothing. No matter what DVD I put in my only options are as follows:

for DTS it's only DTS:neo6
for Dolby it's:Prologic2
then I also have HK's Logic7

I was under the assuption that the receiver would automaticaly detect the source encoding. To top it off, no matter what default I set the reciever too, it automaticaly goes into Logic7!! Man, I hope the thing isn't messed up!! Any help you guys can give will be appreciated.

Halen.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
I am about 99.999% positive that you need to go into a menu on your DVD player and tell it to 'activate' the digital coax or optical output. I know because I had to do this with my HK 520 and panasonic DVD player, now it works like a charm every time ;)

Halen

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Joe...I'll look through my OM for my player as soon as I get home and see if it remedies it.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
You didn't mention going into the audio options for the DVD you were playing and selecting an audio option. If there is more than one audio option on the DVD disk itself (i.e., DD, DTS, etc) the receiver has no way of knowing which one you want. You'd think it would default to DD though.

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
I'm also 99.999% sure that it's your DVD player. I've had friends with Sony DVD's and you have to go into the menu setting and activate Bitstream plus enable DTS and select either the coax or optical output. I think you have to do it with no disc in the player. Hit the setup or menu button on your DVD player.

It should work like a charm after that.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
You didn't mention going into the audio options for the DVD you were playing and selecting an audio option. If there is more than one audio option on the DVD disk itself (i.e., DD, DTS, etc) the receiver has no way of knowing which one you want. You'd think it would default to DD though.
T2 and Gladiator both defaults to DD EX.[Gladiator actually "asks" first]
Reagrds!

Halen

Stunt Coordinator
It WAS the DVD player. Once I selected Optical as my digital output then all was well in the universe! After that I just enjoyed the whole system!! I saw T2 again and WOW! All I have to say is, I'm single now and don't forsee needing a girlfrined as long as cool movies keep comming out!! :D Thanks for the help guys!!

Halen!

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Halen - rent Blade 2 if you get the chance, the DTS surround on that one is just unbelievable.

Halen

Stunt Coordinator
Gonna get it today Joe. Ya know...I quit renting and usually just buy the movies now. Mainly because of late fees, and sometimes the movies have scratches and I have to go all the way back and exchange the dvd...usually around the movies climax...like The Shawshank Redemption! Yeah, I've bought total flops, but in the longrun for me, it's worth it. And now that I'm sure I'll have friends comming over more often I know it'll come in handy! Off to buy Blade 2!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks