What's new

HK 525 & Infinity Entra Point Fives (1 Viewer)

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I've been looking at Infinity Entra Point Fives (100W) as my 7.1 surround speakers, given their price and also for the fact that they have keyhole slots for mounting. I have a rental house, and wanted to drill as few holes in the wall as possible.

The power rating on the 525 is 70x7, but HK is typically power rating conservative. I want them to sound good, obviously, but I also don't want to overpower them either.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Mike

MancusoB

Agent
I've got the Entra Point Fives and an Onkyo TX-SR600. The 80w per channel works well and sounds great through these speakers.

I don't think you'll overpower them with 70W.

Are they strictly for surround or are you using them as mains, also?

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
The Point 5's would be used as side and surround speakers for 7.1.

I would go w/a floorstanding model for my mains, as I will use those for music quite a bit.

MancusoB

Agent
I'm using them as my mains and surrounds in a 5.1 setup.

It's actually the Entra Point Five HTS kit that has four of the Point Five speakers, a center channel, and a sub.

They sound very good with music.

I will caution that there is quite a bit of weight to each speaker. I haven't yet used the keyhole slot to wall-mount my surrounds, but I intend to. I think it may take more than just a nail in the wall, unless it's a 16-penny nail and you can hit a stud.

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Their website says 6 lbs. per speaker. I plan to use a studfinder and a large head screw or nail into the stud.

I'd just prefer one hole per speaker to have to patch, instead of using mounting brackets (in addition to having to buy them).

It's good to hear that they sound good as mains for music. I don't think I've ever seen these (I don't think Circuit City sells or demos them). I was going to buy the .5 system from Crutchfield and add on a set of the towers.

BTW, do you use the center and sub that came in the set you mentioned? If so, how are they?

Thanks,
Mike

MancusoB

Agent
Yes, I use the whole set. The center is good. The sub is VERY good.

I don't know how much coloration I get from having the center in an armoire atop my television, but the sound seems just a little "tubby." But I think a lot of it has to do with the armoire.

The sub is really impressive. It may not go as low and loud as some subs, but it produces very tight, accurate bass. It sounds equally good with music and theater.

I bought the system with the intention of upgrading later to some larger main speakers from Infinity and keeping the Entra's as surrounds, but I've had no thoughts at all about upgrading since setting these up.

Please note that some have said these sound a little brighter than other speakers. Have you read reviews for them? I seem to remember reading a couple of reviews on the 'net. I'll dig up some links.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
The point five's will serve you very well with that receiver - even if you were using them as front main speakers (depending on room size, of course). These are just wicked little units - much better, in my opinion, to the similarlly priced and very popular JBL N24's.

What are you considering for the front mains? Entra Two's or Three's would be the natural choices.

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
The Two model will be sufficient for my needs. I like the look of floorstandings for my mains, and I think they typically sound better if I'm running 2 channel stereo w/no sub for music.

In addition, by the time you buy stands, you might as well get the floorstanding.

MH

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Mancuso,

No, I haven't seen any reviews on these. I have a 2nd, older system set up w/Infinity RS series speakers (which look and were priced and awful lot like the Entras).

I'm sure if you upgrade receivers at some point to 6.1 or 7.1, you could do what I'm doing and just add 2 larger mains and keep these as subs.

MH

MancusoB

Agent
Here's a link to a review on Cnet.com:
Infinity Entra Point Five
I can't find the review online that was done by Ken Pohlman in Sound and Vision Magazine a few months ago. I've got the magazine at the house, though.
And you're right about the stands vs. floor standing speakers. Good stands are not cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.