What's new

Hitachi UWX(widescreen) series RPTVs--do they scan the full 1080i? (1 Viewer)

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
The knock on the Hitachi 4:3 HDTV RPTVs is that they only scan 810i in their 16:9 modes. Considering that at least some of the manufacturers use the same circuitry in both their widescreen and 4:3 sets, can anyone confirm that the Hitachi UWX/SWX sets do scan the full 1080i? I do know they are supposed to have fantastic image quality.

Also, does anybody know if the problem of the green tint in dark/black areas has been eliminated in recently manufactured sets?

If so, the Hitachi may be the way to go.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The current UDX series 4/3 Hitachis will do a true squeeze and use 1080 lines to display the HD picture, unlike the previous models. They still won't do a true squeeze for dvd however.

The UWX models will display true 1080i, and will properly display anamorphic dvds. They do convert 480p to 540p, but lose less detail than the Toshibas which do the same thing.

I don't know if current production sets have fixed the green problems.

I had a 53UWX10B for 2 weeks and swapped it for a Sony KP57HW40, and am glad I did. Aside from the green problem, the Sony has much better stretch modes, more realistic color. The Hitachi's line duobling caused a shimmering in solid bright colors, and faces looked posterized, as if painted with latex paint. Even DVD and HD had some of this latter effect. I really wanted to like the Hitachi, as I had an excellent analog Ultravision previously. Frankly the analog set was superior in color rendition to the UWX.

If you need a torch-bright set, the UWX can do that, but in every other respect I much prefer the HW40 Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks