High-pitched sound coming from speakers when I move my mouse

Discussion in 'Computers' started by ThomasC, Jun 6, 2006.

1. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

When the computer speakers are turned on, they emit a soft high-pitched noise whenever the mouse moves. The sound card is integrated into the motherboard. In order to get rid of the problem, do I have to get a separate sound card?

2. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

I haven't used a linux machine in a long long while, but you could try muting the inputs to your sound card.
    Is there an analog cable connecting the cd drive to your sound card?

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

4. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I'm using Windows. [​IMG] The sound is still there after I mute everything. The volume of the sound doesn't change if I change the speaker volume. What does a cable connected to the CD drive have to do with mouse movement?

Thanks for the sound card recommendation, Scott. Is that what you have?

5. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Many years ago, when I was using that machine (a linux/windows 98 dual boot), the analog cable connecting my DVD-Rom to my sound card picked up a lot of noise, particularly when I moved my mouse. Not very well engineered. I switched to using spdif soon thereafter.

6. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Would there be any connections even though it's an integrated card?

7. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I think it's just RF interference, the type that doesn't have to have a direct connection for it to affect an electrical signal.

I don't have the Chaintech I have an M-Audio Revolution. They basically have the same chipsets but the Chaintech is cheaper because its DACs aren't as expensive as the Revo's. I think NickSo has one, and even is one of the modders that flashed its firmware so it can act like a Prodigy Audiotrak 7.1.

But yea, it's a very popular card. Check out the skinny here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=364771

8. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Aha! Thanks for mentioning interference, Scott. I've figured out the problem - the wiring in the mouse is causing the noise. Right now, the mouse wire is right next to the right speaker. If I move the mouse further away from the right speaker (the right speaker has the power connection, and if the mouse is closer to the left speaker, no sound is emitted), I don't hear the sound anymore. Is this due to bad sheilding/poor build quality of the speakers/mouse, or what? The speakers came with a '98 IBM and the mouse is a cheap two button scroll mouse.

9. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    My cellphone causes a buzzing on my speakers if it is oriented in certain directions while sitting on my desk. Yeah, it's due to poor shielding somewhere.

10. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Hmm. Perhaps it's not bad sheilding, but it's interference that the speakers have to take. I'm thinking it's bad wiring in the mouse.

11. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I got a new mouse and the sound is gone!