What's new

Hi Guys! Newbie here and looking at RPTV's (1 Viewer)

Mark_ON

Auditioning
I'm in the market for a new RPTV. I have narrowed it down to the Toshiba 50" or the Panasonic 53". What do you guys think? Is there other models I should be looking at in the 3,000cdn price range?
By the way I live just west of Toronto, Canada. If any of you are from this area and know any good shops for deals I would really appreicate it. So far I am looking at Best Buy and Future Shop.
Thanks in advance.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi mark -

i highly recommend you check out the Hitachi 51SWX20B.

all the reviews i've read have absolutely gushed on this thing. i think (but am not sure now) that it even won a tv of the year type award from sght.

it's on my very short list. do a search in the tv forum on this...i know i posted a thread about it there too.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to the best home theater-related site on the Internet, Mark. I moved your post here because I believe you'll get more help. Good luck on your decision!

Todd Larsen

Auditioning
Mark,

I was looking for a new RPTV widescreen in January. I looked and compared the Hitachi 57UWX to the Toshiba 57HDX both roughly $3800-$4000 CAD. I stumbled across a Pioneer SD533HD5, which I purchased for $3,650 CAD delivered. I can say the Pioneer is much more tweakable with easy access to the service menu than my previous Hitachi 43FDX. I felt the image for DVD was much better than either the UWX or HDX. In fact a coworker bought an HDX just prior to me and once he saw the Pioneer he returned the HDX for the 533. I know this is a little over the $3000 you are considering but it may be money well spent, good luck!

Charlie B. Ch.

Stunt Coordinator
I am in the same boat and looking to spend about 2,000 USD for a new TV. After a lot of research, I have decided against getting one now and will save up for the new Sony Grand Wega III which is coming out in September. I am particularly looking to get the 50" LCD-based RPTV. Why? The annouced projected MSRP is 3,000 USD as opposed to the current 50" GWII at 4,000 USD. The set is LCD-based which should alleviate my concern about burn-in. Professional convergence tweak is not needed (I believe). The set is a lot lighter than a comparable CRT-based RPTV and thinner also. Finally, the set will have both DVI-HDCP and 1394 firewire connections. The drawback is that the maximum resolution is 720p and cannot display 1080i. I can't wait until September.

Edward Mueller

Auditioning
I've been on market for a RPTV too a few ago then changed my mind for a standard tube tv the Sony KV36FV300 36" with Dyna black, Clear Edge and WOW technologies (non-HDTV) for my living room. I'll wait for a little more money to get myself a Front projetor (12lb so easier to move and no burn in). But before i change my mind i were set on a
Sansung Tantus 47" which was the first RPTV who impressed me. i've been looking at Sony, Hitachi Toshiba, Panasonic etc. and nothing was near. The brightness and the clearness of the TV is unbeatable. I'm usualy not a big fan of Samsung but for this tv you should really give it a try. I've even try to compare to other RPTV from a higher price range (5999$ to 12999$) and the image has as good as the pricey ones. And with standard cable or bad signal the tv perform really good, reducing significantly noise in signal. The sound is very good too.

But the MAIN reason why you need to see it is the brigtness in every angles and crispness with a Progressive DVD Player. You wont even consider Hitachi, Toshiba or Sony after that. Best TV for the bucks to my humble opinion. 3000$ for tv who could be priced over 6000$ easily.

Give us feedback on what you will choose.

Ed

JakeMcM

Stunt Coordinator
I recommend looking at also a front projection unit. For that money you could have a pretty big/sweet setup. It is a little more trouble than an rptv but to me its worth it. You should check out the under $5,000 front projectors forum over at avsforum. I don't know a whole lot about it but over there they do and also there are some posts about front projection but there is a whole section dedicated. Good luck.

steven pm

Agent
Mitsubishi, Mitsubishi, Mitsubishi. $^)

Should be in the same price range, and with a bit of tweaking (as descibed/discussed at hometheaterspot.com) you can get a picture that will match/surpass anything close to its price, IMO. With easy access to the service menu, it's simple to adjust the overscan and square up the geometry. Full 64-pt. conversion is available from the 'regular' user menu. Plus, with a few adjustments using Avia/S&V setup discs, you can make the picture really shine. It's a *very* tweakable set and the quality is simply there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks