What's new

Help with Multi-room setup (1 Viewer)

BrianCli

Agent
I need to get my outdoor speakers hooked up to use the same source as my HT receiver. I have a H/K 525 which has a "multi-room" feature, but requires you to kill your surround back channels to have a 2nd source (multi-room). This is not an option for me, since I love my 7.1 setup.

The way I see it, I have a couple of options and I would like your advice on which route is the best.

1) Use the pre-out front left and pre-out front right as inputs into a stereo receiver powering the outdoor speakers. Will that work? Drawbacks?

2) Use a niles speaker selector. My concern with this approach is the load that puts on the receiver. I have read that having 4 8-ohm speakers (ht front left and right + outdoor speakers) would create a 4-ohm load.... AND that the selector would continue to create that load even when the outdoor speakers are switched off. I do not want the speaker selector to damage my 525, nor do I want it to degrade the sound of the home theater (when the outdoor speakers are turned off)

Let me know what you guys think about these two options.

Thanks for your help!

Brian Cliburn
go noles!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Option 1 is definitely better. It gives full independent control of the second speakers – volume as well as tone control.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks