What's new

Help with modeling a driver for DIY Sub (1 Viewer)

KyleGS

Second Unit
Can you guys help me model this driver for my sub. I want something for HT that will go low and still maintain a good balance for stereo. Here are the specs of the driver (12")from Image Dynamics.
qts: 0.26
qms: 4.40
qes: 0.28
Vas: 5.827cf
Fs: 19.7hz
SPL: 89.9db

Any suggestions on ported enclosure designs?
I modeled a 2.0cf enclosure tuned to 20hz. It looks pretty good but almost seemed "too" flat. Also the f3 is a little high at 45hz freeair. (that what you guys got?) Will it have enough oomph in the 20-30hz range. I will be running around 200w to it. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Isaac C

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like this particular driver was made for car audio. Never mind the high F3, if you're going to build a sealed Shiva anyway, just build the (Shiva) box now and use this driver for now. It doesn't look that bad really :)

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Kyle,
When you say 2cf tuned to 20Hz you mean ported? This seems way too small for this driver. Not much advantage over a sealed box. I'd shoot for at least 3cf and maybe even 4. If you're stuck with 2cf then just build the sealed Shiva alignment as Isaac said.

Isaac,
What makes you say its a car audio driver? Fs is plenty low and Vas is actually larger than the Shiva's! The only thing I'm not used to seeing is the low Qts. The usual tipoffs for a "car only" driver are high Fs and very low Vas. The low Qts may cost you a little sensitivity but is there any other reason it would be bad for HT?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Ryan,
Well, the number one reason is that Image Dynamics makes drivers for car audio! :) Secondly, I've noticed of late that many car audio drivers have really low Qts.
Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks