What's new

Help: Why Did Sony 4ES Sound Shut Off ? (1 Viewer)

C

Chris*Liberti

Edin, what size room are you in that you are going as high as -18 with some sources? I am in a fairly large room and never get higher than -30

Andrew Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Pierce
The only time I got a Protection shutdown I had just hooked up some surrounds. My first though was to disconnect and reconnect all my wiring, which fixed the problem. It looked like I had a single loose strand of cable which was shorting on one of the speakers, but it was so thin it didn't trigger protect mode until the volume got higher.

Edin

Auditioning
Chris,

The room where I have my HT is small, about 19*25 feets.

When I listen my SACDs and vinyls I really enjoy them at higher levels.

When I watch movies, usually I have my receiver at -35 to -32 dB.

Edin

Auditioning
Today I'm more dissapointed...

I experience more shutt of problems during high frequency playback, I put my Hell's Freezes Over DTS DVD and my receiver shuts off in the DTS intro at -32 dB. This is normal? Other experience was with the beat intro of Billy Jean in the SACD of Thriller.... the sound goes at -30 dB.

I don't think this is a normal. Should I change my receiver to another brand?

JackS

Supporting Actor
It could be the receiver and it could be a short. Remove and examine all speaker wires. Also it could be a speaker. The speaker could have an internal short. After assuring that all wires are safe, start removing speakers so you can further narrow down the problem.

Edin

Auditioning
Jack,
Right now I end another test. I connect my JBL S26II as main speakers and disconnect all others from my receiver, after that, I turn the volume to -10 dB and nothing happens. The next step was test each one of my Paradigm speakers, nothing happens with the first (-10 dB using a vinyl), but when I try the second, the receiver shuts down.

Does anyone knows what happen? What is the problem with this speaker? Is one of the speaker drivers? Is the crossover?

Thanks for any help.

P.D. I reside in Guatemala, so, I will need to contact a local technician.

ScottRCapt

Stunt Coordinator
Edwin,

If your speakers are still under warranty, see a technician.
If not, you can unscrew the driver and look at the wire connections inside. Look for a bad circuit board (crossover)or any signs of heat at the terminals where the main driver is connected. Then look at the mids and tweeters... You can also test each piece seperately with a pair of aligator clips made up to your speaker wire, (make sure the volume is low).

If you can isolate the particular part, you should be able to order a new part from the manufacturer.

Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks