What's new

Help! Weird problem with IE 6 (can't access certain pages) (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
I'm running a dual boot of Win98 SE and WinXP Pro, and I've run into an odd problem.

Whenever I surf the net in WinXP pro, I can't access certain pages; I get a "server unavailable error" after the page tries to load for about a minute. One page is the "sell" page at ebay. I can surf any page on ebay, but when I try to log in to sell something, I can't access it. I've noticed these pages all seem to have "cgi-bin" in the address.

I've tried adjusting my browser security settings to "low" and "medium" but it doesn't seem to make a difference. If I go into my Win98 SE, these pages load no problem.

My ISP couldn't help, so I turn to the HTF.

Any ideas?

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I've had a similar problem where a web page would come up totally blank and refresh would always return a blank page immediately. Sometimes I could solve it by purging the Temporary Internet Files cache, which makes sense because the speed with which the browser would show the blank page had to be because the blank page was cached.

Jeff Lehr

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry I can't help you, but just wanted to let you know that I had a similiar problem when I was using an Efficient Speedstream 5660 DSL modem/router. There were a few pages that just wouldn't load, one of them being the Microsoft Update page. I ended up getting a Cayman 3220H DSL modem and haven't had any problems. I never did figure out if it was my Windows 98 configuration not getting along with the modem, or if it was something in the modem itself.

JL

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
Well, I found the problem. I had disabled Gator from starting (along with some other spyware). I re-enabled it, and now have to figure out how get rid of it without ruining my internet access!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks