What's new

Help w receiver for Wharfedales (1 Viewer)

Joe_RM

Grip
After much research and listening I'm set on purchasing a Wharfedale package....8.3 for fronts, the center, and DFS for rears, however I need a little help matching the Wharfedales 86db, 6Ohms to a proper receiver.

Naturally the shop whose selling me the speakers represents Denon and is pushing for the 1604, but I'm not convinced for the price of $400. I live in Puerto Rico, which makes the offers I see on the internet difficult to get since shipping & handling always messes up the advantage.

Anyhow I've been leaning toward the Pioneer 912 and have also compared Yamaha which both seem better value for the money.

The room is a 12 x 13 which opens up to the kitchen, another 13 x 14. I don't need multi-zone, component connections, just straight 5.1 to grow to 6.1.

Any thoughts or suggestions on the matches? I'm also seeking a sub, but this probably not the thread for it (JBL Pb10?)

Joe

Chad A

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Diamond setup your looking to purchase and can honestly say it sounds great for the cost.
As for the low sensitivity I'd recommend you get at least 80 watts per channel for amplification.
I'm running mine with a Kenwood 6070, which S$V mag rated at 92 true watts(from the rated 100),in a 10'x15' with a stair case along the side and I can hit reference levels pretty easily.

Joe_RM

Grip
Thanks for the reply. I'm a newbie at this and have been somewhat confused with the wattage ratings and the 'inefficient' speakers. I've kept hearing the Denons were a good match but its rating was like 65w per.

I'm sure the 6070 does a great job, but for me $350 is the top budget I have. Which makes it a little more challenging to find the right match.

I was looking at the Kenwood 707 and 706, the Pioneer 812K and 912K.

I found the HK and Denon over my price range and even if they were ... I wonder if they have enough juice to feed the new puppies so they can growl. Talking to anyone in sales, I just can't really trust.

What Sub are you using?

Joe

Steve Adams

Second Unit
joe, I have an older pioneer 810, the 912 should run them nicely, and has alot of features to boot!

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I've had both the Pioneer 810 and 811 and they're great receivers in their price range but you may want to be careful using them with speakers having impedance's lower than 8ohm. Nominal impedance isn't the constant impedance of the speaker. It's usually higher than the nominal impedance but can sometimes dip below. If the impedance dips down around 4ohms in a certain frequency range for any substantial period of time (scenes requiring lots of power or high volumes) the receiver may shut off. The pioneer amps just can't handle the lower impedances.

You may want to take a look at the deals on refurbished HK 225s. They can handle the lower impedance easily. Don't let the lower power-raiting fool you. HK conservativley rates their amps where-as most manufacturers over-rate them. The HK will in most cases be able to put out more than it's rated power when/if needed. The kenwood 6070 is also a good choice and can be found online for around $300 + SH

Also, being in PR you can probably contact many of the online sellers and have them ship via USPS which should be the same cost as it would be in the US.

Hope this helps :)

Chad A

Stunt Coordinator
Joe, my suggestion is check out ecost.com to see what fits your budget and power requirements. They have some very good deals on recievers althought I'm not sure if they ship to PR.

As for my sub, I'm using a Polk PSW450 in the front with a KLH 10" 100 watter in the rear of the room, both run through a 31 band graphic EQ.

Joe_RM

Grip
Hey guys...thanks for the replies. I'm seriously looking at the Kenwood VR7060... the Pioneer 912K I cannot find anywhere locally. I'll probably hunt the Kenwood down today.

Stephen...I didn't think about calling the retailer, I normally just check the website go through with the process of purchasing and find out then if Puerto Rico is an option and what the price is.

I'll have to try calling and see what happens.

The speakers I should be getting them next Friday. I was supposed to pick them up yesterday, but when I got there the guy told me he just ran out of them...that I'd have to wait until next week. He did try to upgrade the 8.3 for the 8.4 for $120 more. Some salespeople just try some very unsuspecting TRICKS to make you spend more. I dropped him for a discount and wouldn't budge. Tried to offer me the "Showroom" 8.3's but also wouldn't give me a discount. Sometimes they're so ridiculous they're funny. I wonder how many fall for tricks like these.

I'm holding off on the sub for now, probably give it a couple of months before I decide what to purchase.

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks