What's new

Help w/ JVC HD56G786 and BAD DVD Pic. (1 Viewer)

Troy Swope

Stunt Coordinator
Someone please help! I spent the entire weekend, and am now crazy!

When playing a DVD, the picture quality is TERRIBLE. I have tried three different DVD players (including a brand new Denon-1920) all connected via component cables (even tried the HDMI on the denon) and no matter what, the picture still looks "grainy", almost like its coming from an analog cable source. (am i just spoiled from watching HD-Cable channels?)

I have turned p-scan on and off on the cheap-o player that i tried as well. I have tried multiple sets of cables. I have tried s-video, component, and HDMI. Nothing seems to sharpen the picture.

From what I have read, the dvd picture should be almost HD quality, and I am no where near that on this set.

Is there something that I am missing via setups for either the dvd players, or the tv?

I appreciate all the help these forums have provided over the years!

John S

Senior HTF Member
What titles? You have to be carefull with DVD. Many titles are just not great. We generally call these bad transfers.

Troy Swope

Stunt Coordinator
i figured that in, i have tested programs like the incredibles, saving private ryan, star wars ep. 1

what is killing me, is i swear during the first week, the dvd picture looked 100 times better, and just in the past few days it went "bad"

i have made no adjustments to picture settings, and havent ran the calibration using avia as of yet.

i consider myself a techie, and i know this picture should be better.

thanks for all help!!

John S

Senior HTF Member
I have no explanation. If you send HD over the same connections at the same resolutions and it works flawless. I really have no clue here.

Troy Swope

Stunt Coordinator
Well I have been doing a lot of reading today, both here and at AVS, and im beginning to wonder, if it simply is a problem where my eyes are playing tricks on me.

Have I simply gotten used to the 720p and 1080i HD Cable Channels, and when i watch a dvd, they obviously arent as clear and sharp?

Its just weird, my devoted wife usually doesnt notice picture quality, and even she commented how bad a dvd looked. :frowning:

Thanks again for the response John!

John S

Senior HTF Member
I'm on the opposite side though. I am shocked at how good my DVD performance is even compared with HD.

I'm upconverting on component video to 1080i via my now old Zenith DVB-318, the projector is A to D'n it and scale'n it back down to 720p even. Everything that should make it look bad, but it looks fantastic.

I dunno. Hard to say.

Troy Swope

Stunt Coordinator
Well i spent another couple of hours on the setup last night, and then watched an entire movie, and it must just simply be that I am already spoiled by 1080i. I am going to send the new denon dvd player back. (since my 35.00 cyberhome seemed to produce the same PQ using component outs)

I may try and hook my laptop to this display and see what i get playing dvd's from there.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Many modern displays have excellent video processing, scaling and de-interlacing. So they are hard to beat period. With these displays often 480i in via component video produces best results possible. Seems backwards, but this is the reality of the respective equipment these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks