HELP! scrolling....

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Shoaib Lateef, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Shoaib Lateef

Shoaib Lateef Second Unit

hi

i have a sony laptop and it's acting kinda wierd.

when placing the cursor in the extreme right hand on the "scoll bar" and then press either the touchpad or the left click button, the webpage (in IE) scrolls WAY too much, much more than it used to; it should only scroll a page at a time, but not scrolls like 1 1/2 to 2 pages down or up...

i can't find a setting where to change the scroll "length"...can anyone help, please?

thanks!

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i dunno about a laptop and it sounds like you're not using a mouse, but in my pc:

start / settings / control panel / mouse

i have a tab called "wheel" where i can adjust the amount of scrolling. i can adjust the number of lines, or even have it scroll a whole page.

or, maybe you have a separate icon (in your control panel) for your touchpad?

3. Kevin Golding

Kevin Golding Stunt Coordinator

Shoaib,
    I noticed the same thing on my IBM Thinkpad at work today. I did use Windows update on all the work computers last night, and IE is the only app I notice the increased scrolling. Have you updated Windows lately?

4. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

And here I thought it was just me! It has really been a mess too. Did an update yesterday, so that sounds like it. Time to send them a nasty note.

Glenn

5. Shoaib Lateef

that's exactly it! i updated windows the night before also!

hmmm, how can we get in touch with MS customer support and get an answer how to fix this thing??

6. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I'd tell you, but then i'd have to shoot you.

Getting through to MS is a total nightmare. I ended up posting the update no. KB824145 on one of their message boards, along with problem.

I'm hoping they'll get it out quickly. It is good for skipping down, but not much else.

Glenn

7. Kevin Golding

Kevin Golding Stunt Coordinator

I did a Deja (sorry - google groups) search, and it's all over Usenet right now. One of the MVPs in a MS group wrote they're aware of the bug. I checked Windows update, and nothing yet - but that would be waaay too efficient [​IMG]

8. Shoaib Lateef

screw MS, i "fixed" the problem myself, just did a system restore to Nov 5th...

working fine now, you guys should do the same!

9. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

The problem seems to be coming from the new IE culmulative update. There should be an uninstall feature for it via Add/Remove programs.

MS are always f**king up their patches. They often get updated (usually quietly) because they didn't fix the problem properly the first time or because it introduced other issues.