What's new

Help? Roger HDTV won't work (1 Viewer)

Greg_Ritchie

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
The Rogers installer just left after setting up my new Digital Cable/HDTV box to my Toshiba 50HDX82. All the digital channels work but not any of the HD ones? Any ideas, we tried two different boxes and just about anything else we could think of? Is there anything to be done? We tried connecting through both HD Components and no picture or sound from the HD channels?

Thanks,
Greg

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I have a sony Directv box and there is an output selection button.
You need to select between 1 or the other.
Hope that might give you a clue
Grant

SeanWillis

Agent
Did you change the video input on the television? You have to select the video input, component, on the television to view the HD channels. You can't view them through the s-video, composite or antenna input. If you have done that, you may have to call Rogers and make sure that they have the HD selection activated for your residence. Occassionally, they forget to do that.

Cheers,

Sean

Greg_Ritchie

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks,
I've done all the setup right, and I've checked the box and there appears to be no toggle switch for HD. The installer is going to call me back today, I'll tell him to check and see if they turned the HD on? I asked him about this and he thought the HD was always on everywhere.

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
I had the exact same problem. It's the signal from your cable. I had to have them work on something outside as well as replace the line inside. I will email you the instructions on how to put the box in test mode to see what your signal is. Also, if you call their customer support, the HDTV guys are very helpful.

Ell

Greg_Ritchie

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, you wouldn't happen to know who you talked to? I called customer support and spoke to a real helpful "technical service representative". I explained the problem to her and this was the exchange afterwards:

Her: You have the wrong cables connected
Me: How do you know? I did not tell what kind I used?
Her: They are wrong, you should have bought new ones with your TV
Me: I used the component ones the technician provided
Her: No those don't work, you need different ones that don't come with the box but I don't know which kind
Me: How is this helpful?
Her: I'm sorry you have the wrong cables?
Me: Can you find out what kind of cables I need?
Her: Okay

10 minutes of muzak and I hang up.

Greg

Gui A

Supporting Actor
The test mode on the Scientific Atlanta box I have (3100, non-HD) can be accessed by:
Holding down the SELECT or + button on the machine, until it starts flashing.
Then press the info button. Left-right changes the pages, up down changes channels.
You can press the blue B button on the remote to switch between test and image modes.

...and I was going to give you the real service number (not the outsourced call center), but I seemed to have lost it. If I find it, I'll PM it to you.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
You can also hold down the pause key on the remote for 10 seconds, then use the plus and minus keys to flip through the pages, then the Exit key to, well, exit! The right half of page 5 is where the important stuff is. If your signal strength is below about -16 or your S/N is less than about 30, you're going to need to have some work done. If there are splitters in your cable that you can easily bypass, try that.

The HD channels are at the top of the frequency range and the high frequencies are the first to go. That's why the rest of your channels are okay.

Greg_Ritchie

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your help, I complained and a new tech came tonight. He replaced the splitter outside (frequency was too low) and now HD works. There isn't much on right now but the Hockey loop on the preview channel is pretty sweet.

Thanks,
Greg

DeepakJR

Second Unit
Real Name
Deepak
Gee Greg, if i would of been insulted like that i would of asked for her supervisor immediately! Dont let yourself be told what to do if you think you have done it right. Im sure you know what youre doing when dealing with A/V equipment, so you should not take that. Anyway, i wish i had HD reception...=(

l8rz,
Deepak Jr.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks