What's new

Help.....Please!! (1 Viewer)

mpvitalsigns

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
About 8 years ago I spent months educating myself before going out and buying an HDTV & Surround sound. I purchase what, at that time, was considered top of the line, and paid the price for it. ( Mitsubishi WS-65907 65' RPTV 480i,480p,1080i) & (Polk Audio RMDS-1). Time and technology has passed me by and my budget forces me to make the most with what I have for now.

Sooooooooo...Heres here's the problem. I want to buy a BR player, preferably a ps3 for the gaming aspects. I have just found this forum and have read that I would not be able to reap the benefits of the higher resolution because my TV only has component inputs!!!??? But most of these posts were dated.

Questions:

:star: Does ps3 have component outputs??? If so, and if connected to my tv, will the tv sense the signal and convert it to the best resolution it can?? What would that be...1080i???

:star: Would the ps3 upconvert SD DVD when run through component, and would it be noticeable???

:star: What about the PS3 games, will I get any benefits??

Thanks in advance for all the help. Any Info or upgrade suggestion without having to purchase a new tv would be welcome.

Dave

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
All upconversions are done via HDMI only.
Sounds to me you are a gamer and the PS3 would give you the best of both worlds, but with out HDMI, it's tough to fully enjoy HD in regards to BluRay unless you get a BR player that has component outputs.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member

The PS3 does not have a normal component out from my understanding, but like the PS2 there is a breakout cable available (edit from below - bought separately for less than $20) that plugs into the AV Multi jack. This will allow you to hook the TV up to the PS3 and by reports allow you to output BluRay discs at 1080i resolution to your TV.

This will not allow you to upscale SD DVD however -- at least without some workarounds (stripping the encryption and ripping the DVD to a DVD+/-R disc may work) though I still think upscaling in the player vs the TV is marginal in most cases. The horsepower in the PS3 makes it one of the better upscalers however.

I'm pretty sure PS3 Games will play fine at 1080i (plus Ps1 and 2 games will upscale)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The breakout component cable does not come with the PS3. It is a separate purchase, but it should allow you to see Blu-rays at 1080i.

Above posters are correct. The only DVD upconversion available is through HDMI. I think this is true for all Blu-ray players. None can do upconversion of DVDs through component.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just to add. If a PS3 game is 720p only and your set is not capable of accepting a 720p signal then the game is downconverted to 480p, rather than being upconverted to 1080i/p. I cannot figure out Sony's reasoning for doing something so stupid as to not allow upconversion of 720p for non-720p sets. The only thing I can think of is that someone there was smoking crack when they made such a stupid decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks