What's new

Help! Please! (1 Viewer)

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Whenever I use my television and the picture on the screen is bright, there is a yellow blotch that appears on one side of my screen, and a blue one on the other and they get bigger and bigger the longer the picture is bright?

Is my tv ready for the garbage???

Help!

-Bryan

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Bryan,

the bright image is causing the shadow mask in your set's picture tube to heat up and warp a bit, causing this color impurity.

Try turning down the contrast setting to maybe 30 to 50% of maximum.

If it's still doing it, and the effect really bothers you, get a new set with an Invar shadow mask or a Sony. Invar shadow masks are less susceptible to warping and Sonys use a wire gridwork instead of a shadow mask so they aren't susceptible to this problem.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yes, get that contrast setting under control. Also, are you using unshielded speakers, and are they close to the display?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I once knew the correct name for this shadow mask warping phenomenon but don't remember what it was. I've only had one non-sony direct-view in the last 16 years, a Mitsubishi 27" that I bought in '92. It had this exact same problem.

Whenever a white or very bright image was displayed a couple of "bruised" looking spots would start to appear in the upper corners after a few seconds and get worse with time. Turning down contrast didn't help much. I thought it was magnetic interference and had a tech out to deguasse the set with no improvement. Tried another sample of the same set and did the same thing. Returned it for a Sony and had no problem.

Most direct-view sets these days do have the Invar masks, My ex just bought a nice analog Samsung 27" flatscreen with Invar and it does not have the bruising problem.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Jack,

I do have my stereo a couple shelves over, but I'm fairly certain it's not them, because I've had my TV with me at my dorm and still had the same problem.

I'm currently looking at the RCA 27V53OT. It's a good price for my budget, but I will not get it if this television doesn't have any type of safegaurd to it. Can anyone help me out and take a look at it's specs for me? I can't afford to keep getting new TV's :frowning: .

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...qp=0&oid=72763

Much thanks,

Bryan

Bill Will

Screenwriter
First I would say stay away from RCA they have the worst repair record in the business. Second, & here I go again ;) But I would save up a few dollars more & get the JVC 27" Flat Tube model AV-27FA44 Check Sears website for a picture & specs. on the set. Sears wants $399.99 for it but seeing you live in CT go to Bernie's & fight with them because they had the set on sale once for $277.00 & you should be able to get it for around that price.Do a search on this forum & you should get plenty of info on the JVC. It's also the only 27 inch tv on the market that comes with a One Year Labor Warranty. Now go off & fight with Bernie's because you won't find a better set at that price :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks