What's new

Help picking hdtv - philips 30" or Panasonic 47 (1 Viewer)

Steven Larson

Stunt Coordinator
Help!! I am brand new here, and I am so glad I found this forum! I would like to get a widescreen hdtv (who doesn't?? :) )

I just bought a house, and would like something pretty good to watch dvd's on, and possibly get a hdtv box from my cable company.

BestBuy has the Philips widescreen 30" hdtv on sale for $799, which seems like a pretty good price. The tv has a nice picture. But then people tell me the picture will be too small, and that I should get the largest screen I can afford.

Then you get into rptv's, and their picture doesn't seem to be as detailed as the direct view. I did find the Panasonic PT47WX53 on sale at CC, and then they had an open box model for around $1100. I almost bought that one on the spot, but thought I would do more research first. I then found it brand new at walmart.com for $1184....

Anyway, I am looking for some advice here. I want widescreen, hdtv, and have a good picture for less than $1500.....any thoughts????

Steve

Anthony_J

Stunt Coordinator
Get the 47" if you have the space. You'll quickly learn that bigger is better. In terms of picture quality, you will have to adjust to the "less bright" picture of an RPTV, especially if you're used to watching a direct view set on torch mode (e.g., brightness and contrast wayyyyy up), but you'd probably have to make a similar type of adjustment if you bought the 30" direct view and calibrated it properly anyway.

Note that RPTVs are by no means less detailed than other types of sets. In fact, they have a more "film-like" look than direct views, and tend to produce better blacks than plasmas or other types of flat screens.

The 47" Panny is a great bang for the buck, but if you're looking to spend around $1500, I'd recommend getting the Panny 53" (53WX53) instead. You won't regret it.

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
Do not buy an open box RPTV. These tv's more than likely are store displays and have been on torch mode 12 hours a day and are not worth the lower price.

As for the decision of which tv. I have the panny 53wx53 and love it. I almost bought the 47" version and I am glad that I went with the bigger one. Bigger is really always better. It took some time getting used to the big picture but, I am glad that I did get the 53 inch. I sit only about 8 feet away from the tv and I love it.

I bought my 53" panny from www.onecall.com for $1497.00 including shipping to my home and love every minute of it.

Steven Larson

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the responses!! I am glad I found this forum!

Anyway, I am glad you guys have Panny's....I talked to a salesman today on the phone at Circuit City, and asked him about the Panasonics. He said that they tend to have a lot of problems with them, with the "alignment of the guns"....and that every 8 months to a year you have to have them aligned. Now I don't know if this is a way to sell the extended warranty deal, but I would think if this were the case, Panasonics would not have the good reputation they have.

What has been your experience with the alignment on your Panasonics? He indicated this is something where a technician has to get into the machine and make changes.....

Steven Larson

Stunt Coordinator
Also, one of the reviewers at the circuitcity.com site, said something about some dvd's not filling the entire widescreen. Any thoughts on this?

Rajeev_s

Stunt Coordinator
Alignment he is talking about is called Convergence, which has to be done to all CRT based RPTVs. This adjusment can be done by consumer in the user or service menu.

Panny RPTV shines after calibrating it. It has pretty good PQ.

I dont have extended warranty on my Panny. I dont think I needed one since Pannys come with one year in home warranty.

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
HD programming is a must, if you decide to get the Panny or any other HDTV.

The set will drift time to time with its convergence, but it shouldn't become so bad that you really notice it. Plus, the convergence is easy to do in the service menu.

I don't know about the newer models, but the older models was known for their evil pop where the guns needed to be readjusted. Lately, I haven't heard any stories of this. Plus there are plenty of us to help you when this occurs, if you don't want to call a tech.

Again, do not buy an open box. It might be a great deal at the time, but you are investing $1100-$1500 already, so buy it new.

When you get any tv, first thing you want to do is to turn down the brightness and contrast to prevent from burn ins. I wouldn't be too concern with burn ins. Anything can happen, but just turn down the brightness and contrast when you get the tv and use a setup disc like Avia to calibrate.

You might hate the anti glare screen on the wx53 depending where you put it. I personally hate those glare/protective screen on any RPTV because your screen becomes a huge mirror. Great way to look at yourself, but it gets annoying.

I don't know if Panny or anybody offers a RPTV without the protective screen anymore, but almost any screen can be remove. I haven't done this task because I got the model without the protective screen and can't be more happier.

There are many posts on extended warranties on this forum. Just do a search and read up.

Go with the 47" or bigger. The 30" is way too small for any living room. Its more for a bedroom tv. Plus, HD materials just shines on the Panny.

Steven Larson

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Tim. I just posted another thread for the best tv for around $1500, as the more I research this the more confused I get.

Most of the reviews I have read concerning the Panasonic 53" are good. However Consumer Reports had it down their list, indicating its picture quality for cable/antenna was poor. Any thoughts on this?

Also, I pretty much am dead set against extended warranties in general, but don't know how good an idea they are for big tv's.

And you guys have convinced me on the open box deals....no no no!!! I won't do it! :D :D

Steve

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
I have standard def cable, digital cable and HD cable. HD is by far the best picture that you will get. Even DVD is not up to par from HD. That said, no matter what RPTV you get, standard def and digital will look just okay. There are many things you will notice when watching, like artifacts, ghosting, and etc. You will get use to it or else just watch tv on a tube because its much better.

I took about a month researching and looking at different brands and sizes. It got very confusing.

I picked the Panny 47wx42 over the Tosh 42" because of size and no protective screen.

No matter how much homework you do, you will never find a perfect set because all sets has their different issues and because you and I have the same model, it doesn't mean that they are the same.

I say, don't rush in because there are always deals to be found every week.

If I had to do all over again, I would probably not buy the nPanny because of my troubles (search for my name and read :). That doesn't mean that Panny isn't a good TV, but like I said, all sets are different, even though its the same model. I have friends who have the same set as mine and they had no problems ever.

Good luck and don't be in a rush.

Is it tax return yet :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks