What's new

Help! Onkyo TX-SR705 vs. Denon AVR-888 (1 Viewer)

Jeff F.

Second Unit
My 12-year-old Sony ES receiver finally blew out with a spectacular blast of light, and I'm in search of a new one that can handle HDMI 1.3 as well as the newer audio codecs.

I've narrowed my search to both the Onkyo TX-SR705 and Denon AVR-888, and I have a budget of $800. This is where I need help. I've heard the Onkyo has a problem with overheating as well as lip sync issues. Since so few people have bought the Denon, I really haven't seen too much written about it, although its specs are pretty close to the Onkyo, and I've always heard that Denon is a top notch brand.

What are your thoughts on these two receivers? I'm using Klipsch Synergy speakers and want to keep the watts to 100 per channel.

Thanks in advance for your help with this.

Jeff

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
The Denon doesn't process the new HD audio formats, and the Onkyo does. If you plan on getting a Blu ray player (including ps3), the Onkyo will be a better buy (IMHO), because you'll be able to enjoy the HD audio soundtracks on Blu ray movies. That would be the most important difference to me..........

From what I've read, on the Onkyos overheating, if you put them in a closed in area, such as entertainment center, you could have an overheating problem, unless you have a fan blowing on it. If it's the top piece in an open rack, so there's plenty of breathing room, it's not a problem..........

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks