What's new

Help on Final Selecton (1 Viewer)

Ralph Forgione

Auditioning
After spending the last 2 months researching I've come up with the following to complete my home theater:

Denon AVR-1802
Boston Acoustics System 9000II
Micro 80XII speakers(5)
10" 120W Powered subwoofer

Already have Mitsubishi 46" HDTV and Pioneer Elite DVD Player

I'm having a difficult time finding the Boston Acoustics speakers at stores other than Tweeter, Etc. which sells them at MSRP. Anyone know of where I can buy these speakers or suggest something comparable.

I live in a condo so I need to be somewhat reasonable. Any comments welcome especially on Denon receiver if anyone has experience with this specific unit.

Thanks,

Ralph

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Welcome :D
What is your price target for the speakers setup? With a figure, I'm sure you will get plenty of recommendations here.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I should have asked these before: Will this be more for movies or music? Is speaker size a factor? (I noticed the Bostons are small)
If size is not a matter, then the JBL S series is not bad at all, and the S26s are being closed out at J&R.com:
Four of these The drawback of the S26 is their size, which is quite large for a bookshelf speaker and one of these
For about the same price, they will easily outperform the small, plastic Bostons.
If size is important, then there is the Axiom Audio M3Ti for $248 (including shipping) at theiroutlet, and the VP100 center for $198. These are excellent speakers as well.
That will leave you with enough for a good sub, such as the HSU VTF2 for $449 (not including shipping) or SVS 25-31PCi for $499 (not including shipping). The SVS is a bit large, but is one of the most impressive subs I've ever heard for the price. Both of these will put you over $1K with the Axioms, but it will be worth it.
For lower budget subs, I would recommend the Yamaha YST-SW305 (~$250-$300), or the Sony SA-WM40 ($~150 or less, but a little boomy for music).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks