What's new

Help me pick next upgrade Opinions needed (1 Viewer)

Peter f

Stunt Coordinator
Hello All

I have a budget of around 700.00, here is a list of current equipment.

60" XBR1 SXRD
Yamaha RX-V795A (circa 1998)
Boston Acoustics VR3
Boston VRC
Boston VRX
Klipsch KS-W12
Parasound A-21 (powering mains)
Outlaw M2200 (3)
HD-A1
Tivo Series 3
Panamax 5300 EX

My first thought was to upgrade the receiver (its the oldest in the chain), had my eye on the RX-V1600.(699.00) However would I see a substantial improvement over the RX-V795A? The RX-V1600 has the YPO and other features my current receiver does not. HDMI switching would be nice, but I dont want to pay 700.00 just for switching. Basically I am asking fellow forum users if they have recently upgraded thier "older" receivers for one of the newer ones and if it as worth the expense.

And also if I am better off upgrading somewhere else for the same money...SVS or HSU Sub?

My current reciever has no room correction or usable bass management...it does have DTS and 5.1 analog ins...which is nice.

Wife set budget cap at 700.00...so keep that in mind!

thanks!!!

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Hi Peter

Little bit of tough choice. Room/speaker correction could make a real audible improvement. On the other hand, an SVS or HSU would very likely be an audible improvement depending on your usage.

I just upgraded my receiver but no wife to cap me. Worth the difference to me. Please PM me for details.

Happy New Year

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'd say it would be possible to make noticable gains in sub and receiver w/ $700 IF you did a DIY sub. Something like a TC Sounds 12db-500 ($135) and PE Bash 300w plate amp ($105) in a 4 ft^3 box tuned to 22hz would be a pretty noticable step up and equal or come REALLY close to a SVS PB12-NSD.

For the receiver something like the Onkyo SR604 ($330, Accessories4Less)or (if you could stretch your budget just a tad) the SR674 ($550, Accessories4Less) would give you HDMI switching and LPCM audio for use w/ your HD-A1 and Tivo Series 3. If you want to stick w/ Yamaha you could get the HTR-5990 (mass-market version of the RX-V1600) for $550 from www.electrified.com . The HTR-6090 (mass-market version of the RX-V1700) can be had for $640 from www.zoommania.com but that would pretty much kill any budget headroom for a DIY sub. You can also order the HTR series online w/ less worry than the RX series as the HTR warranty will still be honored.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks