What's new

Help me choose a Upscaling DVD Player? (1 Viewer)

Andrew Beckmen

Stunt Coordinator
I am pretty sure I want to ditch my Panny S77. Not only does the remote to my Panny DVD with HDD conflict with this player, but there is this horribley bright blue strip light, kind of slow load times, no good zoom modes, and I can't skip menus/ads and FBI/Disclaimer crap. I should be able to return it to Amazon since I have only had it for a little over a week.

My display is the Sony KV-34HS420.

I'd rather not spend more than 200 bucks, but if the player is snazzy enough I will...

What I am looking for follows. Please note that only the HDMI thing is neccasary, the rest is just stuff I'd like. It's also pretty much sorted in order of how important these features are to me:

Most Important: Good picture quality, upconversion (1080i or 720p, both work on my display) via HDMI. I don't want to deal with DVI-to-HDMI conversion.

1: Capable of reading various DVD-R/DVD+Rs and maybe even RWs.

2: No Prohibited User Functions (I want to enter the menu, access subtitles and soundtracks and skip chapters/titles whenever I want!). Not sure if this exists. Maybe you can enter a code or something to disable this kind of stuff?

3: Simultanious Optical and Analogue audio outputs, so I can choose to listen via TV speakers or surround sound (can't be blasting the sound system at 3AM...) without having to switch anything around. I haven't seen a player that doesn't do this, but I have heard they are out there.

4: Decent zoom modes (the S77 only offers zoom modes that are designed to eliminate black bars, I want zoom modes to zoom in on small text and whatnot)

5: Good reading abilities/load times

6: No annoying bright blue lights or anything that completely distract from the TV screen and burn your eyes out in a dark room.

What else should I look for? SACD/DVD-A doesn't matter to me, I don't listen to music. A PAL switching/Mutli-region unit would be nice, but I have a Cyberhome player that does all that so it's not needed.

Thanks, as always.

[email protected]

Andrew Beckmen

Stunt Coordinator
Another perk that would be nice, but it's certainly not needed: Subtitle posistion and brightness adjustment. The S77 has this, it's one of the few perks of the unit.

Andrew Beckmen

Stunt Coordinator
I fixed the blue light problem by dimming the faceplate in the menu. I kind of like this player, so I am ping-ponging around. It's just SUCH of a PITA to deal with the remote problems.

Andrew Beckmen

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe I should get a new DVD-HDD instead...that is if Rex will let me take the one back, which I doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks