What's new

Help Choosing a Reciever (1 Viewer)

Dukefrukem

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forums and hoping that someone can help answer a few questions I have.

Currently I am looking to upgrade my receivers. Reason being, I have purchased a 1080p HDTV, Blu-Ray and HD-DVD player and will have HDTV cable. So I have three HD inputs I need to take care of.

I was looking at both the Yamaha RX-V661 and the Sony STR-DG810.

The Sony receiver has 3 HDMI inputs which is pretty sweet, but I am wondering if this machine even does 1080p outputting through them? I can't find the specs anywhere.

I have two older Yamaha receivers that have worked out well for me and I know that model upscales to 1080p.

Also, I was just told by a co-worker than this new Onkyo TX-SR605 model really dominates. Has the latest HDMI version 1.3. Uncompressed 7.1. 2 HDMI inputs and also has Sirius ready which is a plus for me since I have sirius radio.

Price wise I'd like to stay between $250-450 so my question to you guys is the Onkyo receiver worth it? Id really like to get 1080p out of my receiver since I already paid the money for an 1080p HDTV, so anything that doesn't do 1080p out is automatically out of the picture.

Price wise this is how it looks with links. Any other help or suggestions is appreciated. Thanks guys

Onkyo TX-SR605 - $450 or $400
Sony STR-DG810 - $265 or $245
Yamaha RX-V661 - $500 or $360

Ennsio

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Judging from reviews and customer experience here on the forum, Onkyo and Yamaha receivers are much better than Sony's, Steve. If you want to get bang for your buck, I would look at the Onkyo and the Yamaha.

Better to spend the upper limit of your price range and get something you will be really happy with, than save a bit and quickly wish you had gotten something better.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I have no experience with Sony receivers, but I have owned the Onkyo 605 and now own the Yamaha 661.

It was a very borderline decision for me, but after 3 weeks, I decided the Onkyo was a bit too harsh/bright with my JBL speakers. A lot of people seem to like the sound, though. It also ran very hot, which bothered me a bit.

I've had the Yamaha 661 for 2 weeks now and think I will keep this one. Perhaps it's psychological (I'm coming from an 11-year-old Yamaha receiver), but it just sounds more to my tastes. The 661 cannot do OSD over HDMI, but it's not a big deal to me. One thing I really like is being able to rename the inputs (which the Onkyo could not do.) I presently only have a 5.0 setup, so cannot speak for bass/subwoofer usage. The Yamaha is a lot more complex than the Onkyo with so much you can "tweak".

I only have one component with HDMI out at the moment -- an Oppo 981. With both receivers, it passed the HDMI in to HDMI out very nicely with no noticeable degradation.

Alan Wise

Stunt Coordinator
The Sony "STR" line is weak to say the least.
Both the Yamaha and Onkyo would be steps above that. While your looking, you might want to add Denon, Marantz, Pioneer and such to your list.
However, a good brand of HDMI switcher would be another solution. If you are dead set on upgrading your receiver, go with what sounds best to you and if it doesn't cover your HDMI needs, add a switch box.

Good luck.

Al Wise

Bluzman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Putting aside the Sony HaterAde, and as a Sony AVR owner (STR-DG1000), I must admit I'm not a big fan of the new STR-DGx10 line. I would say, however, that you're getting good advice to consider comparably priced/featured Denon, Marantz and Pioneer AVRs along with the Yamaha 661 and Onkyo 605.

zmurphy

Grip
Real Name
Zach
my first surround sound receiver was a Sony. i had it for 2 years maybe. the power supply went out, so i bought a new Yamaha. i thought the Sony was great until i hooked up the Yamaha. no comparison. after experiencing the two, the Sony sounded muffled, the Yamaha nice and bright. the Yamaha sounds better w/ movies and music. the Yamaha was also 15-20 watts less powerful (which means nothing, except on paper). the Sony may have more bells and whistles but the sound difference is pretty dramatic to me.

the 2 receivers i am talking about are older (my Yamaha is like 7 yrs old) so the model #'s and features will be much different than now.

so obviously my vote is for the Yamaha. but i have read alot of great things about the Onkyo's too.

Dukefrukem

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
thanks for the advice guys.. i still have a few months before my purchase when I finally move, but this is all very helpful.

lamia

Auditioning
Real Name
Phil Kaufman
I'm a big fan of Harmon Kardon, they give you a lot for the money, and their amps, while appearing to have less power in total wattage, are high current/low distortion design such that they are the equal of much more powerful amps. The avr-347 has hdmi pass thru for 1080 signals, but also upconverts anything less to 720p to output thru the hdmi out. They do a lousy job describing their products, but if you review the manual, it's amazing what you are getting for the money, and as a long time Citation/Fosgate and Mark Levinson owner, I'm pretty happy with this receiver. It even has Farouja/DCDi processing.

mcintosh

Grip
Real Name
GREGORY

First, I agree with Ennsio. You want to get what you need today, and not be sorry tomorrow. That is why my recommendation is going to be a little different.
I feel your pain. Picking the right receiver can be as hard these days as choosing the right PC. HDMI 1.3 is likely as you know, to be the "next thing"and Integra has a new receiver that does 1.3, as well as many other tricks. Here is a link to a news story about it that might be helpful to you.

http://www.avrev.com/news/0707/12.integra108.shtml

Integra`s reputation as a receiver company is TOP NOTCH. Right up there with Denon. I know people who use their Integra high end receivers as AV preamps and just bypass the amps - they are that good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
12fretter
Recent bookmarks