What's new

Help me choose a new reciever (1 Viewer)

Chad Sunderland

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my reciever, and I'd like some of your opinions. Right now I have a Yamaha HTR-5460, I really like this reciever...it has been very dependable, and has a great sound, so I am slightly leaning towards another Yamaha. I'm also planning on going with Axiom speakers when I get a new reciever. Right now I'm just using very cheap Cerwin Vega's, so I'm in desperate need of an upgrade!

In a new reciever, I want to have 6.1 capability. I like to listen to my music fairly loud, so a reciever that stays clean when played loudly is also something I need. Also, I THINK I want a reciever that has Dolby Pro Logic II, I have a pretty large library of VHS tapes I still watch, and from what I've heard the Pro Logic II will improve there sound. I need a receiver with plenty of inputs, and it must have component outputs also. I am going to have a DVD Player, satellite reciever, PS2, X-Box, VCR, and a CD player all hooked up to this reciever. One feature that would be really nice, is more optical audio inputs for my game systems, both the PS2 and X-Box have optical outs, but I only have inputs for DVD and satellite on my current reciever. The maximum I am willing to spend on a new reciever is $1000, and I'd really love to stay under $700 if possible. One reciever I like right now is the Yamaha HTR-5490, I haven't really looked at any others yet though. I'd love to hear some opinions as this is all still pretty new to me. Thanks!

Lee Petty

Stunt Coordinator
if you really wanna stick with yamaha, look at the 5560. i would definately check out the new sony da4es, i believe it can be had somewhere in your range.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to HTF, Chad! Here's the best place in the Forum to get the answers you want. Best of luck on planning your new system. JB

JohnBrianW.

Stunt Coordinator
Did you consider Marantz 5200 or Denon 1802 (3)? What Axiom speakers are you going to use? I like the M60's for fronts.

Chad Sunderland

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not totally sure which speakers I'm going to go with yet. The M60's are my top runner so far though, I'm either going to go with those or the M22's. Just can't decide if I want to pay that much more for the towers yet! For surrounds I'm going with QS8's and for the center I'll probably go with the 150, possibly the 100 though depending on funds!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks