What's new

Help making choices for a small room (1 Viewer)

Michael Merrell

Stunt Coordinator
In July, I'm planning on upgrading my HT audio system. The room I use is relatively small (10x13x8), and my seating is against the wall, so I'm not quite sure what my options are in several areas.
Here are a few pics to help visualize the space:
Link Removed
1) 6.1/7.1, or can I get decent results with rear center channels with the seating against the back wall, or should I just stick with 5.1?
Receiver or Separates? I have some money to spend, but I don't want to go too far into that area where the price to improvement curve starts getting steep. I am not an audiophile, but I'm also not tone deaf, so consider my abilities to discern differences to be about average. My wife has sensitive hearing, so I'm always turning things down . Funny, though, she always has her industrial music turned way up...
2) Do I go for something like the Outlaw 950/770 (we're talking about July), or would one of the less expensive [than the $2400 Outlaw combination] receivers from Denon, Onkyo, etc. be a better value for this application. Hell, I'm not unhappy with my Yamaha HTR-5150 on most levels, but I'd like DPL-II since I watch a fair amount of television.
3) Is the answer the same if I find it's better to stick with 5.1 in this room, but might consider using the other two channels to drive two channel stereo in another room/zone for listening to music?
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
--Mike

Michael Merrell

Stunt Coordinator
In another thread regarding speakers and amps, I'm being persuaded that a set of Diva 4.1s, a C3, and 2.1s would fit my room nicely. That, and a rear center or centers would probably not fly in this room configuration.

So the relevance to this forum and thread: How does this speaker choice affect my receiver vs. Outlaw separates decision?

Thanks,

--Mike

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
With a hudge family room, I am having problems placing 7 speakers due to room layout. I think a quality 5.1 system( if you can still find one)is great. There may be some great sales on the 5.1 stuff since eveything has switched over to 6.1. You may be in a good spot in the markett.

Michael Merrell

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, nothing says I have to run a second zone from the HT audio system. While it might be cool to have a 7.1 system in the small HT room, using only 5.1 for the HT and the other 2 for a second zone, I can always just have a

separate two-channel system in the other room for music.

Thanks,

--Mike

Michael Merrell

Stunt Coordinator
I'm refining my solution, and looking for more feedback.

I've ordered the Diva 4.1/C3/2.1 set, and I have over a month to figure out what to do on the receiver/pre-pro/amp side of things. I will also be adding an SVS CS+ 16-46 and Sampson 1000 amp when the time comes. This is for primarily (say 90%) HT use.

Given the size of the room in the above link (~11x13x8), and the fact that the layout doesn't lend itself to 6.1 or 7.1 speaker setups, what do I need, what do I want, and at what point do I start to spend money without gaining anything more?

For instance:

1) Lower-end receiver with the minimum feature-set that I'm looking for (DPLII,DD,DTS,Component Switching), such as the Onkyo TX-SR600. Will this do will since it's a small room?

2) Mid-range receiver with features I may not use (6.1/7.1), but a more powerful amp section. How much amplification will I need?

3) Something like the Outlaw 950 (or a mid-range receiver with pre-outs) and a used 125-150WPC 5-channel amp for $4-500. More than I need? Just right?

4) Flagship receiver? Upgradable (well, some are), but if a $700 receiver will do the trick, it's less expensive to buy a new one of those every couple of years.

In writing this out, I may have just convinced myself to go with a mid-range receiver with pre-outs, then make the amp decision later... Has anyone else with a small(er) room gone through a similar decision making process?

Thanks,

--Mike

Robert Ma

Second Unit
I have a small room and my Marantz SR-19 with 120watts is enough. Although I do run a separate amp with more juice.

As Tim Taylor would say

ar ar ar

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks