What's new

HELP going from AVR to Separates (1 Viewer)

AngeloEug

Stunt Coordinator
Hi All,
I'm thinking of going from my Pio 1014 to separates. I've been curious about this for some time now since I've got two Audiosource Amp-Two's just aching for my use.

I've been eyeballing pre/pros (used) but I'm not sure if I've got everything mapped out correctly. I'm sure that I can get my hands on one more Amp-Two for center frt and center rear but at the moment it's the least of my worries.

My first question is: When running separates, does the pre/pro have crossover's built in or do you need an ext. x-over for the bass management. Is it safe to assume that some pre/pro's have this and some don't? Do the majority have x-over control/bass management or are those features a rarity.

Also, for calibration, do pre/pros have the ability to produce test tones like AVR's? Must I use the avia (or something similar) to calibrate?

I think these are the two most important questions for me. I'm thinking about selling my Pio 1014, not for lack of performance but to increase it? When I sell the 1014, I will use the proceeds towards the pre/pro. I've already got my amps lined up so I think I'm ok in that area.

I just need to know is there more to it than just the pre/pros and the amplifiers. Do I need anything else i.e. x-overs etc.?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Also, can I use the 1014 for pre/pro duty? I know there's no x-over on the outputs but it this a possibility?

Thanks much!!!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Pre/pro works the same way as a receiver. It basically is the same thing as a receiver with no amp section in it, allowing that real estate to be used for pre/processing only.

What you WILL need is additional cables to connect the pre to the amps, and that should be about it.

AngeloEug

Stunt Coordinator
JAWWWWWWWNNN, How in the world did I know you were going to reply...tee hee hee. I just can't get away from you can I?

Well, that answers that?!

A quick re-cap:

Pre/pro has the x-over built in so I don't need an external unit.

And as far as calibration, will the pre/pros have test tones just like the AVRs or is this going to require Avia?

Also, what if the pre/pro I end up with only has XLR's for outs, aren't there cables out there for XLR to RCA?

Thanks again for any help.

And of course, thanks to John G. for local support...hope you're doin' good brother...I may need your professional opinion on this whole pre/pro thing and if it's even possible with my 1014.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm not 100% about adapters, but there are adapter cables (not cheap). ART makes a converson box that handles 2 channels. I'd opt for a pre that has RCA. The Amp 2s don't have XLR? I thought they did.

Well, to start off, you could use the 1014 as the pre/pro and feed that to the amps, then take the time to locate the pre/pro. I would think most pre/pros have built in tones, but you can always borrow my S&V disc.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I say stick with the 1014 and get some external amplification. A pre/pro to match or exceed the pre/pro section of that AVR is going to cost a mint, and probably not give all that significant of a performance increase.

AngeloEug

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Johnssessuss,
Thanks...
John G, unforutnately the Amp Two's don't have balanced in's...woulda been nice but hey, for free what can I do? So, in using the 1014 as the pre/pro, will I have to worry about the bass mgmt for my fronts as they are bookshelvers and would fry at about 50hz with the heat that the Amp Two's are pushing.

John S - were you the other 1014 user that was looking into using it as your pre/pro? I know on one of the 1014 threads someone was looking into using the 1014 as their pre/pro. If this is you, did it work/ are you utilizing it in that capacity? How do you like it and is there a significant sonic difference using ext. amp for whichever channels you dedicated to ext. amp'tion?

thanks again, I may be quite busy this weekend...hopefully not frying my fronts though!

With a lot of the older pre/pro units that I've been eyeing I've noticed that some ONLY have balanced outs vs. both unbal'd and balc'd or unbal'd only. Obviously, something I'll need to keep in mind before I plunge into the separates black hole.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I liked the Pro/Pro section of the 1014 very much in all honesty. Lots of cool newer stuff my Denon 4802 doesn't offer. In the scheme of what I was attempting to do, it did not work out because the 1014 has no mian inputs / power amp inputs.

I found the power amp section in the 1014 to be to weak for my use in general though. Using external amplification and the 1014 as pre/pro section would be a way winner, I have no doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks