What's new

Help for a neophite (1 Viewer)

ben_arm

Auditioning
I am new to this whole home theater gig and I need some serious help from the wise sages that frequent this site. I recently purchased a Panasonic Tau TV (HDTV ready) and a panasonic dvd player. I am now set to jump into the audio realm. I do have a budget, however, and would like to get the most bang for the buck as I could get. I have been looking at the Denon 2801 reciever or the Onkyo 787. I am fairly sure I will go with either one of those, if I don't hear arguments to sway me another direction. What I need is advice on speakers. I will need the whole meal deal, (sub, surrounds, center) and am looking to keep the budget around $500. Am I crazy or can this be done? The wife would also appreciate a low profile.
Thank you in advance.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Can easily be done, I think. Search the forum (when the server load is low and searches are allowed) for the JBL NSP1 package, and packages from Home Theater Direct (HTD).

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I will stray away from your reveiver choices as they are both very good, but you might have your priorities swayed. Also Look at Outlaw Audio.
For speakers, remember the smaller the speaker and the larger the sound do not exactly mix. Also The smaller the speaker the more expensive for good sound. That said... For 500 bucks I don't think you could do either of those two receivers justice. If you don't have future plans to upgrade your speakers, then I would reassess my money allocation. Maybe a little less receiver and a little more speaker.
Your speakers will be the most critical part of your system. You will hear them everytime you play a movie (unless you like silent film :))
That said, a 750 budget for speakers is reachable. Look at the JBL NSP1 package and the Hometheaterdirect's mentioned above...
Good Luck
------------------
Have you seen my audio rack?

[Edited last by Trey Jones on October 22, 2001 at 07:06 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks