What's new

HELP- Dire Straits DVD-A Wont Play :( (1 Viewer)

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Just purchased the Dire Straits: Brothers In Arms
DVD-A/DD 5.1/CD and i cant get ANYTHING out of the
5.1 Surround MLP option.

Does anyone know what im doing wrong or is this not DVD-A?
The back of the CD case has the DVD-A icon, and the only reason i purchased was due to a review in S&V.

I know i have everything connected properly cuz i can pop in my REM DVD-A and listen just fine.

The CD portion and DD 5.1 work fine, just the DVD-A portion that i dont get anything from.

WHen i initially load up the CD/DVD into my Pioneer 525, it even shows on screen "Loading DVD-A"

This is my second disc as i returned the first to BB thinking there was a problem with it, but now i think theres some incompatibility issue or something.

Anyone?

Shane Harg

Second Unit
Is it just your player it won't play on, or have you tried it on other players, as well? I had the same problem with the Dances With Wolves OST SACD. I couldn't get it to play, so I thought my player was the problem, but when I took it to Ultimate Electronics and tried it on some of their players - even some really high-end ones - it wouldn't play either, so I took it back and decided to be content, for now, to own the CD (if I remember correctly, the place I bought it from didn't have another one in stock). It could have been just that one disc, I don't know.

I your case, however, since you're on the 2nd disc, it's probably time to find out if the problem is just with your player or with the disc, itself, by trying it out on other players.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I have that DualDisc and the DVD-Audio plays fine in my Samsung DVD-HD841 and DVD-HD950. I don't know anything about the Pioneer 525 but the Pioneer DV-525 I just pulled up here isn't a DVD-Audio player at all. Is this your first DVD-A disc? Are you sure your Pioneer player is DVD-Audio capable? Do you have the 6 analog cables connected to your receiver and using the 5.1 input?

http://www.mediacollege.com/equipmen...dvd/dv525.html

Chris

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Doh! Im so retarded :)

The 525 i mentioned was my old player. I now have the 563A which does do both SACD and DVD-A

I just dont know why it doesnt want to play this CD.

PS- I can play my other DVD-A and SACD discs just fine.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

I have read of problems with that player and some DualDiscs. I believe there is new firmware for the player so if you don't have the newest firmware, that might be a fix. If you can't find information on the new firmware here, the AVSforum or Quadraphonic forum should have the information.

Chris

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Defintely contact Pioneer and have them check the SN# on your 563. Early versions of this player needed a firmware upgrade to play certain discs. The upgrade is free as well...

David Allen

Stunt Coordinator
FYI, Dualdiscs are notorious for player incompatibility problems: which is why they can't use the official "CD" designation logo- due to the non-standard disc thickness.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
BTW: if anyone is using the bass management on the DV-563 for the hi-res formats:

Reportedly (IIRC S&V said this) the crossover for dvd-audio signals is set all the way up at 200Hz - yikes! This can make most subwoofers sound quite boomy if you aren't using a lower frequency via the subwoofer's built-in crossover. FYI: for sacd signals the crossover is supposedly set at a more reasonable 120Hz.

Tom C

Stunt Coordinator
Isn't this a SACD only disc? I've wanted to get it, but didn't think it had a DVD-A or any 5.1 version on it.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

I believe it is also available in SACD but I have a DualDisc with DVD-A on the DVD side. I don't know if it is also available as a separate DVD-Audio disc or not. The DVD-Audio is exceptionally well done and it is 96 kHz/24-bit.

Chris

Tom C

Stunt Coordinator
Well, crud. I new of the SACD release, but missed the dual-disc. I defiantly want this one.

Thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks