What's new

HELP - Design of sub box (size, shape, finish) (1 Viewer)

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I assume you didn't put 2 sheets criss cross in the center of the box with 4" holes in it to act as bracing.

The Adire website has some designs for enclosures that have the bracing I'm talking about.

Maybe some polyfill will help.. I don't know, is it possible to install a brace somehow?

No the contact cement shouldn't warp it, I was worried about the thick white glue when putting the boards together.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Well if you have the whole box together the only way I can see you getting any bracing in there is to get some hard wood or ply in a 1.5"x1.5" or 2"x2" size and cut it to lengths so that you can wedge and glue them in place taking them into the box through the driver or amp hole.

Using 3/4" mdf the bracing by all acounts is a must. Otherwise the walls will flex too much.

Cam S

Screenwriter
ARGH, I KNEW I had to have bracing, but my buddy kept telling me that it won't flex, cuz MDF is strong, yada yada yada, and that it's a ported enclosure so it won't matter. Great

So how bad will it be without bracing?? I should be able to put some 2x2' or 2x2's in there, but it's pretty tight inside.

man this sucks

Cam S

Screenwriter
I found some scrap 2x4 so I'll use that to brace it as much as I can, will 2x4 be ok?

I cut up the laminate today and will be gluing it tonight or tomorrow, so pics should be up in a day or so.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
You might want to rip those 2x4 into 2x2 so that you can get more bracing in the enclosure while taking up less volume.

Cam S

Screenwriter
ok Dustin, will do. I also have some 2x2's, so I'll use those up first. I made the box witha gross internal volume of about 3.8 cuft, so I have some room to spare.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Well, I finally finished the sub. It took me a good 5 hours to glue and trim the laminate. It was a lot harder than I thought, so I just took my time and made sure I did it right. I'll post some pics in a new thread and give my impressions on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks