What's new

Help choosing a universal remote for Amp and other units (1 Viewer)

Rolando

Screenwriter
I ended up getting a Pioneer 814 (wanted a 1014 badly but this was half the price...) and with the wife being so nice at allowing all these expenses in a short amount of time the least I can do is help her "too many remotes" phobia.

I am looking for a magical remote that will not only control everything but also give me access to all of the features. I mean I want to be able to adjust the contrast and turn on sleep on my 34HFX84 from this remote.

I also have a Malata DVD player and so offer no programmable remote seems to have a code for so I guess I need a "learning" remote. Again I want to be able to use the zoom and subtitle on the fly features.

being able to see it in the dark is almost a must.

Any suggestions?

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Why not the Home Theater Master MX-500? It runs about $85 (U.S. $$). The other options is the "One For All" remotes. However, you can't name the button fields, etc. like you can with the MX-500. Plus, the O4A doesn't have nearly the memory area that the MX-500 does.

Paul S

Stunt Coordinator
Wayne is quite correct. The MX-500 is one of the best and most reasonably priced remotes out there. By the way, not only is it capable of learning it also has the ability to program macros into it. That means that you can program it to turn on many pieces of equipment with the touch of one button. For example you can have it set the tv to the dvd input, then turn on your amp, set your amp to the correct input and mode, close the dvd player drawer and then play. That is just one of the macros I have programmed into mine. Very nice to be able to set up for a dvd movie with the touch of just one button.

It is also well lighted for night time operation.

Don*A

Agent
I very strongly agree with HTM. They are the best out there in my eyes. I have owned most of the major brands and they do not compare. If you could swing it I would highly suggest you move up to get the ability to program on your PC. That feature is fantastic!!! I think it starts at the MX 700. Also they have a new line out so you should be able to get a good price. Checkout ebay and audiogon. I have seen new on both sites.

Rolando

Screenwriter
Thanks guys. I guess E_Bay it will be. can't seem to find a retailer in Montreal who has it. Do you guys know if the MX-500 could control an HTPC? planning on getting one soon.

Don*A

Agent
If the HTPC has IR with remote codes. That remote will control it. Matter of fact anything with IR it can control. You will love it.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
anothe vote for the mx-500. read the review here:

http://www.remotecentral.com/mx500/index.html

this thing literally replaced eight of my other remotes without a single problem. it's so good when my first one broke (my fault), my wife immediately said go buy another one. trust me...she never tells me that when it comes to my toys. :)

some alternatives include the harmony series of remotes. i had the 659 for a while. they are much easier to setup -- you simply hook it to your computer, go to the harmony website, tell the website what kind of gear you have (make/model), then download the codes from the internet straight to the remote. i set mine up in about 10 minutes. however, i didn't like the way it felt in my hand (too small), and i preferred the customization of the mx-500 better.

another inexpensive alternative is the ofa series (one for all) remotes. a personal fave is the 8811 - i think you can get it for about 50 bucks. very customizable with jp1 functionality. it works very well, has nice large buttons, macro buttons, etc. i often use it to download the discrete power codes from the internet, then copy them to my mx-500.

remotecentral.com is the best website when it comes to remotes. they even have their own forum section.

edit - here's an article i wrote a while ago on remotes. i think most of the info still applies. :b

mackie

Supporting Actor
I've got a MX 700. One of the best investments I've made. I don't want to ever think about living without it.

Christian M

Agent
HTM is good. My girlfriend has a Harmony 659 that she programmed all by herself in less than an hour - macros and all. She's tech savvy but it still says something about the simplicity of its setup. The thing works great too.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
HTM is great. URC is also a pretty good remote, also got good reviews on remote central. I picked up a URC-100 for my girlfriend's dad, who badly needed one, and they were able to get it up and running without issue.

Jon Bell

Stunt Coordinator
This is a little off topic, but will it also control a vcr/ dvd combo unit? If so, how does it switch between the two functions?

Chad_

Grip
Harmony remotes are amazing! I highly recommend you get a Harmony remote! VERY easy to set up. Can control pretty much anything from the online database of remote codes they have stored at their site, etc... and it's function based way of doing things is perfect for non-technical people (ie. girlfriends/wives)

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Rolando,
Another big vote for the HTM MX-500.

I own 2 MX-500's, one purchased at a local HiFi Dealer retail in Canada for Full MSRP (2.5 years ago it was 349CDN and he would not come down in price), and another from Bluedo http://www.bluedo.com for 89USD one year ago. The units there are now 84USD, with a 2 year warranty. Very happy with their service and would recommend it to Canadians. I wish I would have known about them originally.

SurfRemote won't ship across the border.

Since it is a learning remote you can learn all the commands from your other remotes and box them up :). As has been said, have a look at remotecentral.com for ideas and reviews.

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
leaving the price aside (I know it is a huge difference to leave it aside), how would you compare HTM to Pronto TSU Series Monochrome/Color either? What do I get extra in Pronto over HTM. Again, leaving the $$$ comparision aside.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.