What's new

Help choosing a BestBuy TV (employee discount) (1 Viewer)

Joshua_M

Agent
Hello all,

I just found out my GF got a part time job at a new Best Buy store for the holidays. I have been wanting to upgrade my 27" Akai :rolleyes:for a while and now is the perfect chance.

I am looking for suggestions of TV's they carry. I would really like to get a 42" plasma but I am not sure if this is the best match for our viewing. Mainly:

1) DirecTivo
2) DVD's
3) Xbox
4) maybe Computer?

Viewing distance is ~10-12' and no size restrictions. We have seating position in the center but also have a loveseat and recliner at pretty severe angles. We have two large bay windows with shear curtains, so light control is an issue. I am not an videophile by any means but want to be awed.

What about ~50" DLP's or PLCD? One other thing, she hasn't started yet, so if any Bestbuy employees know what the cost+5% price is on the Panny 42" plasma let me know.

Thanks,
Josh

Joshua_M

Agent
Well I hate to be the first to respond to my own thread but I went to Bestbuy this weekend and found out my GF cost would be ~$2100 on the Panasonic 42" plasma.

It looked great, however it might be too small for my 12' viewing distance.

While I was there I couldn't help but I the Sony 60" Grand Wega LCD Projection TV. That thing looked sweet. Can anyone point me to a thread showing the advantaged and disadvantages.

Thanks,
Josh

Joshua_M

Agent
Well front projection would be pretty much ruled out because this is our main living room with no light control and it will be used as standard TV 75% of the time.

Thanks,
Josh

SimiA

Second Unit
I view my 42" panny plasma from 12' and the size seems ok for me. For the sources you mention, I think that plasma would be a great choice, especially the 6UY, or 7UY.
I like them more than the other ED models that panny offers b/c they have more picture settings to fine tune the pq than the others, and you don't seem to need an internal tuner or added speakers.
I prefer plasma over the RP LCD b/c I find the picture more 3D like, with richer colors and mucher deaper blacks b/c of panny's much higher contrast ratio.(3000:1)
That $2100 price is a sweet deal.
Ultimately, your eyes will have to determine what you prefer.
Vb

matt-f

Second Unit
Since your gf did get hired, her employee discount will not come into effect until after 30 days from the date of hire.

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
Don't know what you can get it for, but you could consider the 52" or 61" JVC DILA set. It's a nice TV. Too bad for you that Best Buy does not sell it in the all-black cabinet...

Joshua_M

Agent
Yep, I am aware of the 30 day rule, not really a problem.

I will also check into the JVC's listed. Once she starts I will have here pull the price on a bunch and see if there are any un-passable deals. I am always a sucker for a good deal.

-Josh

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Which ever direction you go, make sure you sign up for your reward zone certificate. For 10.00 at the time of your purhcase you get 75.00 for 1,000.00 bucks you spend. So that's even more you are saving. I got my Reward Certificate via email and just printed them. I got some Acoustic Research Component cables for my Zenith 318, and Picked up Superbit version of S.W.A.T. and still have 25.00 to spend. Just an add on.

matt-f

Second Unit
Josh,

Since you're looking for a good TV. Get the Panasonic DVD-S97 while you're at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks