What's new

Help calibrating speaker volume between Marantz AV-560 and Nak AV-7! (1 Viewer)

Richard_T

Second Unit
I tried putting this post in the "basics" area and got no replies so I thought I'd try here. I have a Marantz Av-560 pre/pro which I have hooked up to my Nakamichi AV-7 receiver.(I know I should get a separate power amp but funds don't allow that right now.) My question is I'd like to calibrate the speaker volumes but to which one? Should all my speaker volumes be set to max on my receiver and then calibrate them with my pre/pro? The other way around? How should this be done? Right now, the speaker volumes are set the same way and it just doesn't sound right. Any help?

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
I would suggest setting all levels at 0 (I mean the default, not the lowest setting) and calibrating with the pre-pro. You could do it the other way around, too. I'm not sure if there would be an advantage one way or the other, to be honest.

Richard_T

Second Unit
I'm really kind of surprised that this hasn't come up as a question before actually. I would think there were more people using a pre/pro and a receiver but maybe I'm wrong. Thanks for the return though Jeff. Hopefully I can get a bit more input. I'll try what you say and see how it goes though.

Richard_T

Second Unit
Just a thought here. Wouldn't setting my receiver at zero limit the output of power to the pre/pro? I mean, if I set the main volume control of my receiver to zero, no matter how loud I set the main volume on the pre/pro, there still would be no volume. Get what I'm saying? I hope I'm explaining this right. It's just a thought but it's one that's sort of nagging at me so I thought I'd ask.

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
Richard, re-read Jeff's post. He said to set the volume on the receiver not to the lowest level but to the default value. Translation: If the receiver's volume is setup to show decibel level (example: -70 lowest setting, +30 highest setting) then set the receiver volume to 0. If the receiver volume is setup from 1 to 10, then I would set it to 5 and calibrate. If you don't get the volume levels you need from the Marantz, then increase the volume on the receiver and re-calibrate.

Richard_T

Second Unit
I'm sorry guys but I just don't get it. I mean, if I had a power amp, all levels going to each speaker through the pre/pro

would be at a max level wouldn't they? I would then calibrate the levels using my pre/pro. I still think that setting my amp at zero or five or whatever would be limiting it's output to the pre/pro period! I belive that setting all levels at it's maximum and calibrating using the pre/pro would be the best way to use the receiver's power. Am I just slow or what here?

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
Richard, only you will be able to decide which is the right way by trying different scenarios. Are you trying the suggestions given here? What is it that doesn't sound right? Can you give us examples? Maybe having the receiver at the highest volume is introducing too much noise into the system. Try it. Can you tell us: When the receiver is set at its mid point can you get enough volume through the pre/pro? We need your feedback!

If it's a definite answer you want, I don't think there is one. Do what sounds best!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks