What's new

Help! Audio Dropout on new Marantz SR5400 (1 Viewer)

Francois

Auditioning
I bought the 5400 yesterday. Experiencing audio dropout when watching DVD. I timed it, can be every 2, 4, 8, 17 min. It looks very repetitive, like its resetting. It happens very fast, and you can almost not notice it in quite moments, but in more action scenes you definitely notice it, since the sub takes longer to kick in again (have it on auto signal detect.)

I am running QED SR75 coax. LG DVD player. I am a novice (my first setup), but also not an idiot. The 5400 was on auto signal detect, I took it off now to see if it still has the problem. I only watched 2 Dolby DVDs (Matrix 2, and Fifth Element). Goiing to test it now with auto off, and DTS.

Is it possible that I am doiing something wrong?

Francois

Auditioning
I tested with DTS titles. The drop outs occur less often, 3 times in movie vs several times with DD. I took the auto signal off, it does not help.

It cannot be that the amp is cutting out, it happens it quite moments when only dialog can be heart through the center speaker.

Is my unit faulty?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
ARe you using a 75ohm cable?

Or, You could have something faulty in the dvd player, or the receiver. I would go back to your dealer with it and test things there, or try a different DVD player, to try to narrow down the culprit.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I have heard of this problem happening when someone uses "any old RCA cable" for the coaxial-digital connection between the DVD player and the reciever. The problem cleared up when they used a real "Video" cable for the digital connection as Chris suggested.

Note: A video cable is a 75 ohm cable. This is what the designers of coaxial-digital interface had in mind when they created the spec.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Try optical and analog, if you still have the problem there may be something wrong with the player, but it sounds like the cable is the problem. Using a video cable should tell you right away as well.

Francois

Auditioning

I took the receiver back to the dealer today, and we tested it in the showroom. After 5 min the first dropout! Then 6 min later another one.

So it seems that the new X400 series does have some problems. I read elsewhere that 2 guys have the same problem with the 7400. Others have had heat issues. My 5400 did not get warm at all, ran very cool.

Will be getting the replacement next week. Borrowing a 5200.

Thank for you comments.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Glad your dealer dealt with it quickly. Hopefully the new one is good. BTW I have a 5300, and love it alot, no dropouts, and it doesn't run very hot on my paradigms.

hope it all works out! :emoji_thumbsup:

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The first 7400 I saw in the showroom was almost too hot to touch and it was sitting idle. I have had zero problems with my 8300 so far *knocks on wood*. In fact, none of my Marantz receivers/amps have ever had a problem - 2x SR4000, SR6200, PM7000, MA500. I DID have a problem with a CD player that died for no apparent reason at just 6 mo old.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks