What's new

Help Alleviate My Fear of Oral Surgery (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
When I had my wisdom teeth pulled, they gave me a few shots in the gums and the roof of my mouth, we waited twenty minutes or so, and then they yanked 'em out. I was awake the whole time, and felt most everything, even thought there was no pain.
Agreed. I had all four out and some were impacted, but I wanted to be SURE that I was awake so I knew what was going on. If the Dr.'s going to screw up, I want to be CERTAIN that I am awake for it.

When he was craking one of my teeth, he went "Whoops!" and I immediately wanted to know what he meant by "Whoops!". It turns out, he hit a nerve bank (which caused my jaw to swell up afterwards. Thank GOD I wasn't asleep or I wouldn't have known, then (when I went back to have the infected area cleaned) he may have charged me extra for it, but since I wasn't asleep during the procedure, he couldn't lie to me and say it was "normal".

Jay Heyl

Stunt Coordinator
I've never been into drugs, but I tell you what, laughing gas would be my drug of choice if I was.
Nitrous oxide is very strange stuff. I had it once when I had some cavities filled. They told me beforehand that the procedure would hurt, I'd know it hurt, but just wouldn't care. They were absolutely right. Very, very weird.

As for wisdom teeth, I had general anesthesia and was out cold for the whole procedure. Like Scott, I counted backwards from 100 to 98 and then said, "Goodnight." (I, unfortunately, did not get the same side effect from the SP as Scott did.) For me, by far the worst part was the two days after the procedure. My mouth hurt like hell.

This whole thread is rather appropriate as I just got home from having a root canal. Procedurally, the root canal was much worse than my wisdom teeth extraction.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Sorry I don't have time to read the whole thread. . .

I've had 3 wisdom teeth pulled, 2 or 3 impacted, I don't remember. Anyway, I was fully awake for all 3. They just shot my gums with the big needle until it felt totally numb. Then, they pulled and cut away with me feeling barely anything but a little pressure.

I've had root canals, and same thing there.

Prior to this, I have never heard of being completely put under for the extraction of wisdom teeth! It seems like more risk than necessary -- a numbing shot to the gums will do just fine.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
My fiancee is getting her wisdom teeth out at the end of the month. Mine all came in cleanly. Any advice on how to deal with people who just got teeth yanked out of their head? :)

I'm currently planning on making a lot of chocolate pudding.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Chuck, this should help you out.

Actually, don't fret it. I had my jaw broken, steel inserts placed, and at the same time had my wisdom teeth pulled. Neither was that big of a deal, in reality, very little pain that was not manageable. Doc gave me some codine, which I never did use.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
My only post surgery advice, now that it is done, is that if you have any seepage (dragonbreath) use tea bags - I'm sure the doctor told you this. however, wht he didn't tell me, is that under NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU USE FLAVORED TEA BAGS, unless you want to completely HATE whatever flavor that was for the rest of your life!!

IT was THE worst orange flavor you could imagine!!!

Get chills just thinking about it.

I was zonked on valum for the surgery. Good and bad. I was 20 at the time - the immediate after effects were like a huge beer buzz - good. badd is I was shamelessly flirting with all of the doctors nurses - trying to get them to go out for a beer with me. Apparently (because I have no memory of it) I told the ones who claimed to be married that going for beer is still ok because 'I'm not the jealous type'...
I have never returned. ever.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
it has been 22 days since my surgery, and the holes are nerly closed. however, is it normal to still have pain this late? My lower right tooth was impacted and they cut it out of the jawbone. when i touch that area of my jaw, I feel soreness and a bit of a swollen area. The rest of my teeth haven't hurt for over a week now. Is this normal?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks