What's new

Hello All. I'm new here, and I have a problem with my new wega's auto 16:9 (1 Viewer)

Hello all,
First off, I would like to say that this is perhaps one of the best resources for this hobby anywhere. I have been browsing for a few months and finally signed up. I hope to be able to help you guys when I can and look forward to some great threads. Anyhow, here is my problem, as if you could have a wega without one. I have a modest setup but it's the best I can get while still in college. I rust picked up a KV32-FV300 and a DVP-NS755V DVD player. The TV set is supposed to do the auto 16:9 squeeze when the DVD player is set to 16:9. Well, I did this. And when the tv sees the signal, it does the auto squeeze, but winds up having seizures flipping back and forth. stretching, then squeezing, stretching then squeezing. Sometimes it only freaks out a few seconds on some DVD's. Other's play more erraticly. The only way to make the squueze mode behave itself indefinately is by switching the 16:9 menu item to ON. But it does not hold once you switch inputs, and besides, not all my discs are WS anyway. Anybody else having this problem with their auto 16:9 feature? Other than that, the geometry is good (not perfect) But messing with avia has helped. Thanks for your replies!!

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Does this happen on all 16:9 discs or only some? Could be DVD encoding at times that throws the TV off kilter. Bad flags sometimes do this.

Regards

As far as I can recall, I have not played a DVD without having the TV glitch at least once with the auto squeeze feature. Can it be light dust on the disc? To shed some light on this issue, I called SONY, They gave me the number to a local service center. As I spoke to one of them we had a very long coversation. He did not want to take my job and this was his reason.... He claims that he has seen alot of the same problem I am experiencing with sets with the auto 16:9 squeeze. He says that the DVD player and TV are not comunicating properly, something about a frequency something or other. Basicaly its simmilar to not fully tuning in to your favorite radio station,ie. you can here the music, but not not perfectly, so the in the case of the tv, the squueze mode works eraticly. He says that SONY knows about this problem but continues to ship them out. He told me not to take my chances with returning this set because I told him how good the geometry was on this one and that this was the only problem with it. Icould trade this one in aget a really bad lemon. He then said that once there are enough people with this problem who speak up, sony will issue a "FIX bulliten" and I should wait a few months, ( i have an extended warranty) and to call him back. He told me not to let anybody come in and just start tampering with my TV's guts and screw up an otherwise beautiful set. He seemed to know what he was talking about. What do you think? Sorry the post is so long.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

It makes perfect sense and manufacturers cannot possibly test their equipment with every other potential permutation on the market.

I guess it is like how some DVD's don't like to play in certain brands of DVD players ... you never can be sure until you put the disc in. Exactly why I always have redundant DVD players in the same set up just in case of glitching ...

Switch machines and the enjoyment contines ...

Getting good geometry on a flat tube design is far more rare so if you change sets ... you will invariably encounter some other issue. Count yourself lucky and move on ...

Regards

TimG

Second Unit
Well, that is a new one to me. Have you tried a different dvd player to see if the problem goes away? We have had our HS500 for a couple of months and haven't had any trouble with the geometry or the auto-squeeze. But we only use a sony 315 for our player, interlaced only. (Come on Santa, we really need a progressive scan player for Christmas.) :D
TimG

JasonRH

Second Unit
Tim,
I think the TV only does the auto squeeze on Interlaced inputs anyway, so barring a defect, you wouldn't have any problems.

TimG

Second Unit
Yeah, on his FV300 they are all interlaced inputs. I was just wondering if that particular dvd player was doing something weird. If he had another player or is able to try it on a different set it may narrow down the search to either his tv or the dvd player causing the problem.

TimG

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks