What's new

Hellfighters On Blu-Ray 08-11-15, See Post 9 (1 Viewer)

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Universal is really picking up the pace on releasing more 1960's and 1970's films on Blu-Ray. With the announcements of The War Wagon, Rooster Cogburn, Joe Kidd, and some other titles, I was wondering if anyone knew if Universal was planning on releasing the 1968 John Wayne film Hellfighters on Blu-Ray any time soon? I hope Universal releases Hellfighters on Blu-Ray this year!

Thanks!

Robert

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Wondering the same thing about Shepard of the Hills.

I guess all of their John Wayne titles will eventually be released on blu-ray. Hellfighters is probably just a matter of time.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
The Scandinavian company, Soul Media, put out a 1080i50Hz release of Hellfighters which really looks good. Hopefully, Universal will give us a beautiful 1080p version here soon.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
JoHud said:
Wondering the same thing about Shepard of the Hills.

I guess all of their John Wayne titles will eventually be released on blu-ray. Hellfighters is probably just a matter of time.
Oh boy, Shepard Of The Hills would look incredible on BD, if it was transfered correctly.

billw6560

Grip
Real Name
Bill Walch
John Hermes said:
The Scandinavian company, Soul Media, put out a 1080i50Hz release of Hellfighters which really looks good. Hopefully, Universal will give us a beautiful 1080p version here soon.
Hi John,

Do you have this import Blu-Ray? I'm looking at it too (available from DaaVeeDee/Amazon), but one of the things that bothers me, is the aspect ratio they're reporting, which they say is 1.78:1, which it wrong for this movie. It should be 2.35:1 (my DVD is actually 2.55:1, but a horible pre-anamorphic picture).

Thanks,

Bill

Simon Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon Lewis
I have `

billw6560 said:
Hi John,

Do you have this import Blu-Ray? I'm looking at it too (available from DaaVeeDee/Amazon), but one of the things that bothers me, is the aspect ratio they're reporting, which they say is 1.78:1, which it wrong for this movie. It should be 2.35:1 (my DVD is actually 2.55:1, but a horible pre-anamorphic picture).

Thanks,

Bill
I have this release and it is 2.35:1.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Universal is doing pretty well releasing their later John Wayne titles. Hopefully, they'll continue with some of the 1940s ones, particularly The Spoilers and Reap the Wild Wind.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Ha! Wouldn't you know. I'd recently ordered and just watched the R2 Hellfighters last night. With my luck, when I order the R2 The Hindenburg, an R1 release will be announced within weeks! Such is life.

Hellfighters looked great btw so I have no regrets. The R1 couldn't possibly look better.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
The Danish release really looks excellent (beautiful contrast, color, sharpness and fine grain) but it's 1080i 50Hz and has the PAL speed-up, running about 116 minutes instead of 121, with only a DD 2.0 track (listed as DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 on Amazon for the new release). I will be getting this new one for sure. Great news.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Agree with you John...the Danish BD, while being quite acceptable, could sure be improved upon. And with Universal's track record of high def releases lately, I'm really excited for this one!

billw6560

Grip
Real Name
Bill Walch
John Hermes said:
The Danish release really looks excellent (beautiful contrast, color, sharpness and fine grain) but it's 1080i 50Hz and has the PAL speed-up, running about 116 minutes instead of 121, with only a DD 2.0 track (listed as DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 on Amazon for the new release). I will be getting this new one for sure. Great news.
I also got this Blu-Ray from DaaVeeDee/Amazon back in March, and the picture is excellent. Of course, I had to convert the film to 23.976 fps from it's original 25 fps ("PAL"). Generally my "PAL" to "NTSC" conversions are painless, but sometimes they are a bit more trouble. First, the video, once re-timed, had some jitter, which may have been part of its original 24 fps to 25 fps "PAL" conversion. Additionally, the original soundtrack was 2 Channel, and it's level was quite low. Rather than fiddle with now out of time Blu-Ray soundtrack, I also have a DVD version of the film which has a much better AC3 soundtrack (perhaps the DTS soundtrack will be similar in quality), which synced up nicely with the now corrected timed film. Finally, to get rid of the jitter, I re-encoded it all to an AVI format using Xillisoft Video Converter Ultimate. The end result was quite acceptable, and a smooth looking video. You never know when these classic films that were only released into the European market, will get released in the US, but I'm happy just the same. Now all we need are some more great John Wayne films in Blu-Ray, such as In Harm's Way, and The High and the Mighty in it's true Cinemascope 2.55:1 aspect ratio (unlike the horrible 16:9 HD pan and scan version thats being shown on cable).

Hellfighters.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks