What's new

Hellboy - that's the way to do it! (1 Viewer)

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
The movie isn't even in the cinemas yet but the director has already said that there will a double-disc "normal" edition of the DVD in a few months and a three-disc Extended Edition (with 20 more minutes) for Christmas.

That's honest and fair to the buyers.

I just wanted to make a point that there are some good examples (like LotRs) - where we actually are told that there will be multiple releases.

There's so much comlaining here that a Thread about something positive might be a good change.

:D

http://boards.sonypictures.com/hellb...=&threadid=567

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Great news. Considering the nice amount of special effect and makeup work in the film, there should be some nice behind the scenes information.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Sounds like they're following the LotR model all the way. :emoji_thumbsup:

Now let's just hope the movie is as good as the early reviews say it is.

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
my one problem with this, is that I like to get the theatrical edition as well, because that's the original version I enjoyed at the theater. They'll get props from me if they employ seamless branching in the extended cut release...

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Right; I would hope that the big 3-DVD version is a superset of the 2-DVD one. I don't see the need to have the same movie on my shelf twice.

Scott Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
Guillermo del Toro, director of “Hellboy”, told VideoStoreMag.com that he plans to release two DVD’s of the film.

“The first edition is going to be a double disc hopefully, and the second edition is going to be a long cut of the movie, 20 minutes added, and you add a third disc to it,” del Toro said. “I think you have the chance of the more casual fan just buying the first one, and the guy who really is hardcore going for the second one.”

The extra scenes will develop subplots with one of the villains, Rasputin (Karel Roden), and a love triangle with Hellboy (Ron Perlman), Liz Sherman (Selma Blair) and Agent Myers (Rupert Evans). In the film, there is only one scene where Sherman and Myers seem to be developing a romantic relationship that makes Hellboy jealous.

“There is a little subplot that was taken from the movie that involved Rasputin’s eyes,” del Toro said. “That adds a layer of strangeness and beauty to him. There are more scenes between Selma and Rupert, and there’s a little bit more of being able to follow those subplots. I feel that they couldn’t be in the movie because the theatrical cut has to be a cut that moves to a pace that any casual fan or nonfan can enjoy, and the DVD is hardcore.”

Selma Blair recognized the difference between the two versions. “They just didn’t see the need to strengthen that relationship as much in this film,” Blair said. “It would just be too much torture for Hellboy. It would just be too distracting. And I think it works with Liz being more of a presence, instead of having her more realized.”

“I think that if you’re a casual fan, it will feel like we went beyond the call of duty, but if you’re a fan or you’re going to study the movie and really have a great, healthy peek behind the scenes, you’re going to get that,” del Toro said. “In my mind, DVDs are the cheaper, more direct route to film school for people who cannot afford the $30,000 tuition fee. I plan to make it very candid, like Blade II was a candid type of commentary and look behind the scenes, and very informative and very incredibly exhausting.”

The release dates for the DVD editions are still only tentative. “They’re talking about August for the first one and December for the second one, but anything can move,” del Toro said. “Nothing’s set in stone.”

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
After seeing it I think I'll give the extended edition a chance but I won't buy the theatrical version.

It was a lot like Daredevil - some potential to be a very good movie but butchered in the editing room.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Big fan of this movie. I'll pick up the both of them (the 2 disc previously viewed, and then spend the big buck for the set.)

I found this way better than Daredevil, and it stayed really true to the source material as I remember it.

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
Much, much to love about this (seeing a film three times in 10 days isn't something I normally do). I may very well pick up both, especially if the extras are differentiated, like the LOTR releases.

david*mt

Second Unit
I'm glad they are letting us know that there will be an extended version but because this is Columbia we will probably have to triple-dip on the Superbit to get DTS.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Oscar, IMDB says it's pencilled in for 3rd September for the UK.

Excuse me while I pre-order an R1 import. :)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
All I hope is that the theatrical version DVD won't be the version I saw in the theater (I got one of the bad prints floating around that is missing part of a scene)!

-V

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
There are no bad prints - this was explained on the official board. It's just that some projectionists mistake the darkness after the fire as the end of the reel and make the switch to the next reel too early - thereby cutting the final part of the scene (about 45 seconds of Myers waking up and seeing Ilsa and Rasputin coming in).

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

While I have heard of this happening before, I guess I would be surprised to see when they were putting together the paltter that they wouldn't notice a couple extra hundred feet of film left over on a reel (and ignore the reel change markers).

Well, regardless it sucks. I emailed the theater chain about it (Cinemark), but they never replied (of course- wonder why these companies bother to have websites if they don't wanna deal with web complaints).

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Is this going to be two full editions, a two-disc and a three disc? That's what most of the comments seem to be saying, but reading Guillermo's words, it almost sounds like the 2-disc of the SE, and the extended version is a third disc that you add to the initial release. IE, all the extras will be on the 2nd disc, and the third extended version merely complets the set but is not a full release in its own right.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Guillermo del Toro is said to be a huge fan of the DVD format, and oversaw many aspects of the Blade 2 release, such as the video and audio tweaking and the supplements. This could be one of the better special editions to come out late this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks