What's new

Healthy alternative to instant ramen noodles? (1 Viewer)

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
This is my new favorite meal:

Boil ramen noodles. Throw out the seasoning packet. Stir fry some vegetables and maybe some chicken in a little bit of peanut oil. Add some black bean sauce or other appropriate seasoning. Add noodles to stir fry just before serving. Enjoy.

My former roommate/current neighbor, who I make this dish with, freaks out about the nutrition information on the ramen noodles. I assured him that most of the fat grams were in the seasoning packet and not the noodles. HOWEVER, I discover that the noodles are indeed fried in oil. Is there a healthier alternative to the dried-brick instant ramen noodles? I have access to an Asian supermarket but I thought I would ask the fine folks on the HTF for some advice before heading down there.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Your roommate is right, Ramen is full of fat! You could give rice noodles a try (found in any asian market) but they do not have the same flavor as Ramen (the fat _is_ the flavor).

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Rice noodles are good, they also sell "shrimp noodles" and many various blocks of noodles. Not necessarily for pennies, but probably more nutritious for you. I'm especially fond of the rice noodles myself. I will buy shrimp (flavored) noodles since most of them are packaged in little tiny balls that 2 or 3 make a perfect size for a meal for one. Then, like you, I'll add my own seasoning and whatever leftovers I have..

Jay

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
You fry some stuff in peanut oil and then worry about the history of the noodles? :confused: The problem with the "seasoning packet" in most ramen noodles is the SODIUM content.

Try Dennis' pasta aglio e olio...

Boil some tagliarina until al dente, drain into collendar.
Pour in some extra virgin olive oil into the now-empty pot. When hot, throw in copious quantities of pressed garlic, a handful of minced ham, and some rosemary. When the garlic starts to brown, put the pasta back in and toss. Serve with shredded cheese. Mmmmmm.....

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for all the suggestions. (It never occurred to me to use Italian noodles in Chinese food!) Unfortunately it looks like nothing will beat the cost and convenience of the instant ramen but there are pros and cons to everything.

Dennis,

One or two teaspoons of peanut oil in a dish that feeds two is about three to five fat grams (and 0 saturated fat) per person, which I believe is much less than what is contained in the instant noodles. But I agree the sodium content is absolutely INHUMAN.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
for cheap healthy food i always go with some crispix :) u know you're a bachelor when you're eating cereal for dinner

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i do it up like you ... i typically cook the noodles, add about 3/4 of the seasoning packet (unfortunately i love the saltiness). some other stuff i like to add include:
  • bok choy (or other veggies)
  • tofu (firm works best)
  • egg (scramble it, then add to soup and stir... makes like egg-drop soup .. sorta)
  • chinese sparerib
  • left-over meat (chicken, pork, whatever)
  • sampal (chili-paste)
  • sesame oil

honestly, it's still not totally healthy, but by at least adding the veggies you're giving yourself some nutrition.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks