What's new

Headphones with no Headphone Jack (1 Viewer)

BrandonRM

Auditioning
Well, as I said in my other thread, I am considering getting a Wega 24"-27". None of the 27"'s have headphone jacks. There are definitely times when I would want to use headphones (though not often) and so I want to know if this would be possible on the 27" or if I would have to get a 24" (which do all have headphone jacks. weird. In fact, Sony 42" plasma screens have headphone jacks, so it's not like they don't put them on any TV's bigger than 24", just not any of the 27" FD Trinitrons ... err, anyway...--)
I searched here and found a couple references to using a Y-jack to turn 2 RCA jacks into a headphone jack. But I, being a newbie and not even having seen the actual jacks on the back of my prospective TV (I know what they are! I just haven't seen them) I don't know in what format the "Audio Out" on a 27FS100 (or FS200 or FV300) would be. Are they RCA? I have no idea. Sorry for the rambling and dumb question, but hopefully I can get an answer. As always, if I was unclear and you need me to clarify or offer additional details, please ask. Much thanks.
EDIT: Would the "1/4" stereo phone jack to 2 RCA plugs. N4AA be what I'm looking for?
Brandon

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Brandon,

The TV will have RCA audio output jacks, like other components. You can run them to a vacant input on your home theater receiver and use its headphone jack.

I searched here and found a couple references to using a Y-jack to turn 2 RCA jacks into a headphone jack.
You may not have a clear understanding of what they were discussing. They may have been talking about using say, the headphone jack of a portable CD player to connect it to a bigger system. This would also require a “y-jack to 2 RCA jacks” adaptor – although not the same kind you would need for what you’re talking about.

The RCA outputs of a component (including the TV) is a line-level signal. Headphones require a hotter signal, so typically a headphone jack is driven by a tiny amplifier. If indeed someone said they were connecting a set of headphones directly to a line-level signal, I suggest sending them an e-mail or PM and ask what kind of headphones they are using. They would have to be extremely efficient.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i'm not sure about this, but don't wireless headphones require the rca connections?
rca jack (from tv) --> wirless transmitter --> wireless headphones
if that is true, then that will definitely work.
also, check out this website - they're all about cans! (no...not those kinds of cans!) :D
www.head-fi.org
[edit] - i forgot to mention. get the 27"...you'll be much happier down the line. ;)

BrandonRM

Auditioning
Ah, yes, wireless headphones. I had looked at them before but thought they were too expensive. Turns out I just forgot to scroll down; they have very affordable ones. I think I will go that route then. Much thanks :D
Oh, and, Wayne, I don't have a receiver in here; this would be just for my bedroom. And I went back to find threads that alerted me to the possibility of such a Y splitter being a possibility and here are two: .one and two (the latter of which, you posted on and which made it seem unlikely that it would work well, but I figured I'd at least ask anyway)
Also, I was an idiot and forgot to edit the site that I was referring to in my edit, into my edit... it was here, though I will probably go the wireless route regardless of what TV I pick (I will take your advice to heart, though, Ted :) ) since the affordable one I was looking at comes with a convertor to the headphone jack if I wanted to use that. it seems to be native to the RCA plugs, so it should also work for the 27" if I pick that
Thanks again :)
Brandon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks