What's new

question about bluetooth headphones and modern receivers (1 Viewer)

Gorlash

Agent
Real Name
Dan
Okay, the main reasons that milady wants to get a new receiver, is so she can connect a set of bluetooth headphones to it...
We've spent a few years trying different solutions to connect headphones to our old receiver via bluetooth adapters that plug into the headphone jack, and none have worked easily and reliably... by reliably, I mean "she turns on the receiver, and sound is just there in the headphones" and "she turns on the headphones, with receiver already on, and sound is just there"... that's how it works with a mobile phone, but it has never worked that way with any of the receiver options.

Is this going to be simple and reliable?? Or will she always be needing to micromanage the connection??
I should note that while *I* could micro-manage things to get them working, she will not tolerate it!! The first time she turns the headphones on and has to fight with things, she'll thrown the headphones in the corner, and just be pissed that she wasted money on a new receiver!!

kalm_traveler

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jake
Pardon my ignorance here but what source(s) is she wanting to listen to with the headphones? I would think that most modern TVs have bluetooth which might be easier and more cost-effective than buying a receiver just to use it as a bluetooth host device.

But to your question... my experience with bluetooth and receivers is rather limited. I haven't used it in the way you're asking about - with the receiver sending sound to headphones... only used it the other way around sending sound from a device to the receiver.

In that direction at least, I set the receiver's input to BT and my phone just connects instantly. I recall there being some option buried in the menu to use bluetooth for sending sound out to something else but I'm not sure this is as easily done as your lady might want (just turn it on and sound is being broadcast via bluetooth).

If you do find a way to do this please share as I am curious now.

Gorlash

Agent
Real Name
Dan
Well, to provide more info on this:
1. I want to connect the bluetooth headphones to the receiver, exactly as if they were headphones, and I wanted to listen to music on the receiver... "what source is she wanting to listen to with the headphones?" ... the home theater system - WHATEVER IS BEING PLAYED ON IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Headphones are not new tech ... we want to use bluetooth headphones on the receiver... I don't see how it is possible to be confused about this question.

2. Well, I've done a detailed scan through the user manual for the Denon AVR-X1600H, and the *only* references to bluetooth, are for connecting to external playback devices such as phones... so apparently Denon doesn't understand my question any more than anyone else does... wow...

So does that mean that bluetooth headphones cannot be linked to a bluetooth-enabled stereo receiver??
Sorry, that just sounds really bizarre to me...

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Well, to provide more info on this:
1. I want to connect the bluetooth headphones to the receiver, exactly as if they were headphones, and I wanted to listen to music on the receiver... "what source is she wanting to listen to with the headphones?" ... the home theater system - WHATEVER IS BEING PLAYED ON IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Headphones are not new tech ... we want to use bluetooth headphones on the receiver... I don't see how it is possible to be confused about this question.

2. Well, I've done a detailed scan through the user manual for the Denon AVR-X1600H, and the *only* references to bluetooth, are for connecting to external playback devices such as phones... so apparently Denon doesn't understand my question any more than anyone else does... wow...

So does that mean that bluetooth headphones cannot be linked to a bluetooth-enabled stereo receiver??
Sorry, that just sounds really bizarre to me...
First, this topic is already being discussed in your original thread so there was no need for this one.

Second, with all due respect, your apparent tone is uncalled for. No one here is directly responsible for you dilemma, we are only trying to better understand it so that we can [possibly] offer solutions.

I understand your frustration but I believe it is being misdirected.

Now. I use something like this product for a similar purpose when my wife wants to watch TV while I'm trying to sleep or vice versa. It uses 2.4 Ghz WiFi so no pairing is needed. If you haven't already, this might be worth a try. If it doesn't fit the bill, Amazon will glad take it back and issue a full refund.

Gorlash

Agent
Real Name
Dan
First, this topic is already being discussed in your original thread so there was no need for this one.
Aye, I agree... at the time that I posted on the other thread, this had already been left, but got no responses for several hours, so I posted there - but that causes confusion. I should have been patient and waited on this thread. Y'all have been *very* helpful and supportive here.

Second, with all due respect, your apparent tone is uncalled for. No one here is directly responsible for you dilemma, we are only trying to better understand it so that we can [possibly] offer solutions.
And yes, I agree even *more* with this comment!!

All of you, including @John Dirk and several others who I don't immediately recall by name:
My responses were very unjust and uncalled for, and I *deeply* apologize for my attitude!
I *do* recognize and appreciate your assistance, which has been very professional in all cases!

I have a problem with managing anxiety anyway, and this particular issue is a *long*-standing one for us... but that's not your fault. I really should have just closed the browser and walked away for the evening. I am *very* sorry for not doing so!!

I deeply apologize for my reactions, I pray I remain welcome here, and I will definitely post more slowly in the future, and walk away before I start barking!!

Now. I use something like this product for a similar purpose when my wife wants to watch TV while I'm trying to sleep or vice versa. It uses 2.4 Ghz WiFi so no pairing is needed. If you haven't already, this might be worth a try. If it doesn't fit the bill, Amazon will glad take it back and issue a full refund.

Thank you, that sounds like a good idea, I will take a deeper look at this tomorrow.

I also have another idea of something to try with a previous product; I will look at that tomorrow as well...

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I really should have just closed the browser and walked away for the evening. I am *very* sorry for not doing so!!
We've all been there. This hobby will do that to the best of them and anyone who can admit as much is always welcome here.

I hope the wireless headphones do the trick for you.

Gorlash

Agent
Real Name
Dan
Hi all! Just for completeness, I want to share the response that I got from Denon customer support, on the bluetooth headphone issue:

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for contacting Denon Support, we value you as a customer and appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance!

This unit AVR-X1600H is capable of pairing standard bluetooth headphones. On the manual, please go to "Updated Feature" and there you could see "Bluetooth Transmitter".

Link for reference: https://manuals.denon.com/U21_2_DE_2/NA/EN/WBSPSYpfdhkups.php

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact us again.

Thank you for contacting Denon Customer Support. Have a great day!

And their link indeed took me to the page that they said it would.
So I think our receiver is now chosen!!

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Make sure your Bluetooth headphones have their own volume adjustment, as the Denon cannot adjust volume of Bluetooth-paired headphones.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Hi all! Just for completeness, I want to share the response that I got from Denon customer support, on the bluetooth headphone issue:

And their link indeed took me to the page that they said it would.
So I think our receiver is now chosen!!
Aren't you concerned with persistent pairing? At a minimum you'll need to change this setting whenever you want to actually listen through your speakers. Not trying to rain on your parade but I remember you said your wife wouldn't tolerate the [much cheaper] external Bluetooth transmitter for similar reasons.

Gorlash

Agent
Real Name
Dan
Aren't you concerned with persistent pairing? At a minimum you'll need to change this setting whenever you want to actually listen through your speakers. Not trying to rain on your parade but I remember you said your wife wouldn't tolerate the [much cheaper] external Bluetooth transmitter for similar reasons.
ummm... well... yeah, there may be some learning curve here...

Actually, we *got* the external bluetooth adapter working this morning!!
It was actually surprising, because I thought I had thrown that thing out long ago, but I found it yesterday while digging for USB cables... I was going to post a link to the Anker device that we have, but it apparently is not available any more, but it was one of the tiny 1x2x0.25" little dongles which are charged via usb, and plugs into the 3.5mm headphone plug.

Here's the catch... the docs tell us that the usb connector is just for charging the dongle... so I wasn't leaving the cable plugged in... well, when I turned off the receiver, the dongle lost its brains, and when I turned everything on again, we had to re-do pairing, every single time... that was not working for milady. But I kept thinking - what if I just leave the dongle plugged in forever?? It's not like it will drain our solar panels or anything, and maybe it will remember its bluetooth data, and things will just work.

So I tried that this morning, and indeed, it seems to work... we paired up the two devices, got them connected, then turned off both receiver (*not* the dongle) and headphones, and went to lunch... when we came back half an hour later and turned the devices back on, they synced back up automatically, just fine!! So she's happy now... why this took me two years, I'm not quite sure, but I know that just discussing the subject with knowledgeable folks, woke my brain up so I could figure things out...

Anyway, we've ordered the AVR-X1600H, and should receive it sometime before Xmas... don't know if it will be *this* Xmas, but at least one of them... since bluetooth is now working and she's been able to get rid of the headphone cable that we were tripping over, she is quite contented...

and if *she* is happy, *I* be happy!!

I'll keep in mind your comments, though... I'm hoping that the Denon bluetooth interface will be intelligently designed, and the system will understand that both BT and speakers (which are wired, not BT) each need to be used from time to time, without nuking everything... if that's not true... well, we have the option if falling back on our current method, which works just fine along with the speakers; we've been switching back and forth between the two today, repeatedly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks