HDTV upconversionvs progressive DVD.....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Kolinski, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

I'm kinda confused on this issue,I have aJVC AV56WP30 RPTV,upconverts all to 1080i,suposedly has internal 3:2 pulldown.My DVD players are an older Toshiba 3108,has the firmware problem[​IMG] ,and my backup Panasonic 434[​IMG] .I know these are not the grearest DVD playersd,and are probopbly light years behind on tech,but I can see no real picture diffeence between the interlaced Toshiba and the progressive Panaconic?Would it be worth it to go get a newer Progressive scan DVD player??would I see the $300-$400 differnce in picture quality??

2. Tom Moran

Tom Moran Agent

It sure seems lately that the concensus value favorite for DVD players is the Panasonic RP82...just a couple hundered bucks so not much $$ compared to other players with similar technology innards.

Tom

3. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

I don't know about the first player you list, but you can punt that Pioneer DV434 right out the window. I had one of those and it was a decent player on a 32" non digital TV. but when i connected it to my HDTV for kicks, it looked like 'crap' in progressive mode. more combing than a beauty salon. it does not do 3:2 pulldown nor does it do the vast majority of things even the cheapest progressive players now do. calling it progressive is deceptive, IMO. it's not.