What's new

HDTV upconversionvs progressive DVD..... (1 Viewer)

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
I'm kinda confused on this issue,I have aJVC AV56WP30 RPTV,upconverts all to 1080i,suposedly has internal 3:2 pulldown.My DVD players are an older Toshiba 3108,has the firmware problem:frowning: ,and my backup Panasonic 434:frowning: .I know these are not the grearest DVD playersd,and are probopbly light years behind on tech,but I can see no real picture diffeence between the interlaced Toshiba and the progressive Panaconic?Would it be worth it to go get a newer Progressive scan DVD player??would I see the $300-$400 differnce in picture quality??

Tom Moran

Agent
It sure seems lately that the concensus value favorite for DVD players is the Panasonic RP82...just a couple hundered bucks so not much $$ compared to other players with similar technology innards.

Tom

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
I don't know about the first player you list, but you can punt that Pioneer DV434 right out the window. I had one of those and it was a decent player on a 32" non digital TV. but when i connected it to my HDTV for kicks, it looked like 'crap' in progressive mode. more combing than a beauty salon. it does not do 3:2 pulldown nor does it do the vast majority of things even the cheapest progressive players now do. calling it progressive is deceptive, IMO. it's not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks