What's new

HDTV in TORONTO (via Rogers) (1 Viewer)

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Anybody knows anything about this? I tried contacting Rogers rep and as usual, they don't know anything about the spec.

I need to know whether.

1. The HDTV receiver has progressive pass-thru. My TV has only one progressive-scan input. So if it doesn't have a pss thru, I can't switch between HDTV and porgressive DVD easily.

2. Is the output selectable to 480p coz my 16:9 TV can only display 480p (although Samsung rep claim that the TV should be able to downconvert 720p and 1080i to 480p)

3. Since all the channels are US-Channel rebroadcast, will I be able to receive X-Files, Angel, Buffy, King of Queens, Yes Dear, Frasier, Friends, The Simpsons, Futurama, Charmed, Alias in HD broadcast? Those above are the only TV shows I watch, nothing more.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

ps: where is the HDTV forum? can't find it when I'm posting this thread

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I hope someone clues us in on this. I'd like to get an HDTV and broadcast cable HDTV would be helpful up here in Canada.

Phil _A

Auditioning
David:
The HD Box is still pretty new and Rogers reps are not too much help as you have reported.
I''m not too sure what you mean about pass-through, but the HD signal needs to be connected for components inputs i.e. 3 video cables.
The box is not selectable for either signal or format. The signal would not be changed by Rogers, so what ever the signal received is the signal sent to you. Also, since I have a 4:3 the image format is not selectable and you would expect aspect control.
Rogers rolled out this product without thinking about all the 4:3 HDTV ready units on the market.
I will probably be returning the box until Rogers gets their act together.
:thumbsdown:

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Phil,

thanks for the reply. There are more clarifications that I need to do.

1. I understand that it is required to use component cable. My unclear statement with regards to the pass through is:

my TV only has one HD input, so in order to switch between HD box and progressive DVD I have to keep plug/unplug the connection. This can be helped if the HD box has Progressive input so it acts as a switcher between HD broadcast and progressive DVD player. Hope it clear things up.

2. From my understanding of your post, the HD signal is formatted for 16:9 HDTV (anamorphic signal). Am I right?

3. Are the signals 480p/720p/ or 1080i? I don't enough about HD broadcast to know which signal being broadcast by most broadcasters.

4. They mentioned 8 HD channels (well, 6 since 2 channels are PPV), do they ALWAYS broadcast in HD or only at certain times?

Peter McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
Phil,

HD is 720p and 1080i.

ABC broadcasts their HD in 720p. CBS in 1080i. NBC in 1080i. Fox does not do HD, they use 480p (which is SDTV or EDTV depending on if it is 4:3 or 16:9). I think Fox shows are being upconverted to HD, but I'm not sure.

As far as shows go, ABC has most of their primetime lineup in HD. Sitcoms, dramas and some movies. CBS also has most of their primetime lineup in HD. Sitcoms and Dramas and I believe they have college football in HD. They also have Young and the Restless in HD. NBC has The Tonight Show in HD and Crossing Jordan.

I don't think the box will be able to downrez to 480p, I don't see why it would (or why they would want to).

Hope this helped,

Peter

EDIT:

Rogers rolled out this product without thinking about all the 4:3 HDTV ready units on the market.
What do you mean?

David Susilo

Screenwriter
I just heard from Rogers rep that CityTV is also broadcasting in HDTV. Whether it's native or upconverted, I don't know since their own website doesn't say anything about HD broadcast.

Phil _A

Auditioning
Peter:

My comment on Rogers, is related to the HD2000 box not having the ability to format various images, as I undrstand the Express Vu 6000 box can do. Unfortunatly, my Panny does not perform these functions. I have have had the Panny reviewed by an ISF guy and he agrees with me. Either the imagine is full screen and vertically compresssed or vertically compressed with vertical letterboxing. Sure, I can do a manual service menu adjustment on the VSIZE, but it would have to be readjusted for SD. Life is too short.

Hope this clarrifies my comments

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.