What's new

HDTV Component Video problem (1 Viewer)

Peter L

Grip
Hi, Recently when I was watching a DVD movie, I notice the image on the screen turned to a yellowish/greenish tint and would switch back to regular color back and forth by itself. At first I suspected the monster component cable that I was using but I switched cables same thing. Then I plugged in my xbox with component video in to test, same yellowish tint. So I 'm fairly certain it's my TV that is the problem. If I use Svideo and composite then everything is normal no problems at all, only component inputs from my TV and no matter which component input I use from my tv it still shows the yellowish / greenish tint.

My question is, what is the exact problem with my tv? and how expensive would it be to fix?

My equipment list:

Sony HDTV KP51HW40 widescreen
Panasonic DVD RP-91 Progressive scan
Denon 3802 Receiver
Polk audio speakers
Xbox component out

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
This sounds like the "flicker Problem" that was fairly common on that particular set. Sony has issued a service bulletin and I think extended the warranty to cover it. Check out the Sony forum over at Home Theater Spot for more details on this.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Actually, it sounds more like a bad component connection. Have you tried to see what DVDs look like with the S-video connection? That could help isolate the problem. If it weren't for the way it switches from "normal" color to the distorted color, I'd say the thing is severely mistracking the grayscale.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Jack's right, first try other inputs like S-video or even the set's own tuner. If you have the "flicker problem" it'll show up on all sources not just component inputs.

Peter L

Grip
Hi,

Svideo works perfectly fine no problems at all from dvd to tv, only component it seems like.

Can anyone provide a link for the service bulletin in regards to the sony "flicker problem" issue?

THanks,

Peter

Peter L

Grip
I purchased the Sony 51HW40 in Jan 2002, and I have extended warranty so hopefully everything will be covered. I just wanted to know how serious the problem is and how much work will be needed to fix the problem.

Thanks,

Peter

Peter L

Grip
Hi,

I read the Sony Service Bulletin from Home theater Spot but the service # is for USA only. If anyone has the number for Canada, please let me know.

THanks,

Peter

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Time to use FS's performance warranty ... as you are into
the FS extended warranty part now. That's what its there
for.

Regards

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Time to use FS's performance warranty ... as you are into
the FS extended warranty part now. That's what its there
for.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks