What's new

HDTV Anti-Piracy Device Gains Support (1 Viewer)

Brennan Hill

Stunt Coordinator
LA Times article discussing news that "Six major consumer electronics companies announced their support Tuesday for a new piracy- resistant digital connector for high-definition TV sets, DVD players and other devices."
But it also spells bad news for about 2.6million people who've already bought HDTV sets, all but a handful of which have no digital inputs. "I think we've got a grandfathering issue that we've got to manage very carefully," said David H. Arland, director of U.S. government and public relations for Thomson Multimedia, maker of RCA sets."
I'm glad I haven't bought one yet, and am hopeful there is an agreeable resolution for those who have.
Brennan

SteveA

Supporting Actor
studios have proposed such a restriction for "high-value movies," such as pay-per-view films
This is important. There are no plans to restrict over-the-air HDTV broadcasts or media such as D-VHS and DVD. Hollywood wants people to think all current HD-ready sets will be obsolete soon so no one will buy them. Their REAL goal is to kill HDTV before it ever really goes mainstream.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
The 'grandfathering' issue is simple. Don't sell devices or software that require digital inputs on a set until say, 7 years after the last set with analog-only inputs rolls off the assembly line.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks