What's new

Hdtv / 32''-46'' / $1,000-$3,000 (1 Viewer)

Tim Beebe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
I don't know where to start looking... I've heard the Sony Wega's are very good... Suggestions? I live in a fairly small apartment... I probably wouldn't have to go any higher than a 36''... and $3000 might be exaggerating... I probably want to keep it under $2000.

Things I want in a television.
HDTV / 32"-40" / CRT
Good price (duh) / Good picture (double duh)
Flat screen / 4:3
Should I get HD-Ready or HD-Compatible? I know the difference, but, is one better than the other? I already have a 5.1 setup so an extra box and some cables won't hurt any. Though I suppose I'd lean towards HD-Ready because of the convenience.

The television will be used for regular cable television, DVDs, and Video Games. It will be the main television.

Edit: I'm not sure I really WANT HDTV... I don't care about regular TV cable. Mostly I'll use it for Video Games and DVDs. Is progressive scan good enough?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Update!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I may have made a decision.

Sony KV-34XBR910

I've researched quite a bit, and for my price range (even including some televisions out of my price range) it's considered one of the best televisions by many different websites and reviewers. With research, 16:9 has grown on me, as well. Any comments, concerns, suggestions?

Tim Beebe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
I don't mean to bump my own thread, but did I put this in the wrong place?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
No, you posted at a time when most people are either commuting or going to dinner or watching the evening news. But please do not bump threads.

Given your situation, a 32- to 36-inch direct-view, CRT-based unit is what you might best consider. The Sony WEGAs are excellent, but perform their best only when given a service-level calibration to bring the grayscale under reasonable control. Toshiba and Panasonic units can be made to perform just as well with a service-level calibration.

Also, "HD-compatible" and "HD-capable" mean the same thing. Such a display requires an external HD tuner/decoder to produce HD images. An "integrated HDTV" comes already equipped with an ATSC tuner.

Tyson Wetzel

Stunt Coordinator
The Zenith C34W37 MSRP $1,799.99is a steal IMO. There are 34's that look better, but not much better. The connectivity of this set is great and the ATSC tuner is a bonus.

Tim Beebe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
It's very nice, but I'm not a big fan of 16:9 because it makes "regular" TV and most video games small (black bars to the sides).

I'm definetly open to non-Sony products, but right now, here's what I'm looking at...

Sony KV-40XBR800 40"

Sony KV-36HS420 36"

Sony KV-36FS210 36"

Sony KV-36FS320 36”

Sony KV-36FS120 36”

Obviously it has a pretty good difference in price. I'll probably end up getting one of the middle models.

Right now I'm leaning more towards the 36" FD Trinitron® WEGA® Hi-Scan® Television (KV-36HS420)

I'm not sure 4 inches and integrated HDTV is worth a thousand more dollars.

Opinions?

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
I heard that the larger Wega has some kind of problem if the TV is not set up with the rotation of the earth or magnet field or something crazy like that.

If you are just going to use it for gaming, regular cable, and DVD's, look at the sub $500 32" Toshiba, JVC, Sharp.

Toshiba makes a 32" tube HDTV for $900.

I would not buy a Sony because their products are become very poor. It's not the same "Sony" back when the Trinitron were bullet proof. Sony is going through hard times with their workmanship and bank accounts.

Their larger LCD sets are having major problems. The lamps are burning out in a matter of months because the lamp technology that they use are outdated.

I'm not trying to bash Sony's, but with so many off brands TV's, all manufactures are cutting corners to compete.

At this point, you are just paying for the name, Sony.

"My First Sony" has become "My LAST Sony".

Tim Beebe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
Hmmm. That's disappointing... I guess I'll look around at some others, as well.

Edit: I'm going to Best Buy today, just to look around. Anything to look out for? Any suggestions?

Tim Beebe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
Well, I did some measuring and did some looking at Best Buy. I need to keep it below a 37" length, which cuts out the 40" and all the 36" TVs I've looked at so far. I'd like a 34" but it seems like I'm going to have to go with a 32" (there aren't a lot of 34"s around with less than 37" length). With the televisions at Best Buy, I'll admit, the best looking one was the 32" FD Trinitron® WEGA® Hi-Scan® TV KV-32HS420

Tim Beebe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
Update!

I think I may have made a decision.

Sony KV-34XBR910

I've researched quite a bit, and for my price range (even including some televisions out of my price range) it's considered one of the best televisions by many different websites and reviewers. With research, 16:9 has grown on me, as well. Any comments, concerns, suggestions?

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Tim, Just to let you know that the KV-34XBR910 is a 2003-04 model & the new 2004-2005 Sony 34" XBR model is the KD-34XBR960 Off hand I can't remember the difference between the old & new models except that the new model adds a HDMI Input over the old DVI Input. You can check out the specs. at www.sonystyle.com As far as quality goes I still think the "XBR" tube models are still right up at the top but where I think Sony has been fooling around with quality is in their lower priced Analog models. So if you decide to go with the 910 really fight with them over the price because it's a discontinued model. Best of Luck. ;) Just wanted to add that there is a BIG Tread on the 960 over at www.avsforum.com & someone posted that Circuit City now has them in their warehouses & the 960 should be hitting the stores next Thursday.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks