What's new

HDMI for DVD or HDTV? (1 Viewer)

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
I am planning to purchase the Panasonic 700 and initially was going to connect my HDTV direct to the 700 through the HDMI connection and my dvd player through component.

Now I am seeing that the price of dvd players that up convert dvd's using either DVI or HDMI have dropped to a price range that works for me. My question is, should I stay with my original plan, or is there a way to connect both devices using an HDMI connection?

Pat Frank

Stunt Coordinator
It's funny you ask, because DirecTV is here right now, installing an HD Tivo and new sat dish to connect to my Infocus 4805. I'm going to connect it via HDMI, and leave the DVD on component.

I've gone through the same questions myself, which is why when I got the HDMI-DVI adapter from Infocus I also got an adapter that connects component cables to the DVI port. That way I can change my mind down the road and move the Tivo to component.

I don't really have an answer to your question, but I figured a little feedback couldn't hurt. My guess is that an HDMI switch box would be kinda expensive right now, being a fairly new item (if they even exist).

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

A place like digital connections has switchboxes for what you are looking for ...

regards

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Pat, I agree a switcher(if it exists) is probably expensive so I will probably do as I originally planned, use HDMI for the HDTV and component for DVD, this way, neither format is restricted by the cables. I will just buy a standard progressive scan DVD player.

Good luck with your setup.

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
You sent your reply as I was typing mine Michael. Is digital connections the name I should look for?

Pat Frank

Stunt Coordinator
I'll check that out as well, thanks. Ultimately I'd like to get my DVD sourced via HDMI as well.

The install finished and the HD Tivo looks great coming into the 4805 via HDMI. Works like a charm.

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
Michael, your a life saver (not that extreme). They have a device that looks PERFECT, 2 DVI in, 1 out

Thank you :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks