What's new

HDMI 1.3 is released. (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So Kutaragi seems to be claiming that PS3 is going to be outfitted with 1.3 HDMI. Interesting. Maybe some of the ongoing delays with Blu-ray are tied in with the release of of the 1.3 spec.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
The new HDMI mini connector, pictured here next to the regular HDMI connector, is designed to be used with small portable devices such as camcorders and digital still cameras.

http://www.hdmi.org/images/HDMI_andMiniConnector.jpg

I'm not clear on this:

Would the display and player both have to be HDMI 1.3 in order to take advantage of the video improvements?

My best guess: Any device would default to the "lower" HDMI setup.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Another excellent question which means those of us that getting ready to upgrade our displays might want to wait until we know for sure either way.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
It said they were backward compatible, so they should. If the receiving device was a HDMI 1.2, then you'd only get 1.2 results, but it would still work.

This is great for me because my TV has a DVi, and I got an HDMI adaptor, so I'll get the 1080i video that I am expecting.

This is great news!

Glenn

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
However, you won't get the benefits of 1.3 on your display which to me is very important and why I'll probably wait to upgrade until it's available for all of my components.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Does this mean that current generation receivers with hdmi will not be able to take advantage of the new hdmi and therefore lossless audio ie. DD True HD and dts HD or will the lossless audio be available over the analog 6 channel audio connection?

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
yes. w/HDMI 1.3 JUST approved, it'll be close to a year before a larger selection of a/v gears with 1.3 compliancy comes out. heck we don't even have 1.2a devices yet.

meanwhile, i'm concerned about the lack of mentioning DD+. does this mean HDMI 1.3 doesn't support carrying DD+ signals? DD+ and TrueHD are 2 different animals. there are already discs out there that carry DD+ but not TrueHD.

anyone else concerned about this?

i'm also relieved that as this is finalized, we're going to start seeing GEAR next year around the same time! yeeee ha!!!

i hope somn like a denon avr 3807 or 4307 or 4807 comes out to replace the currently line with HDMI1.3 spex.

imagine listening to:
-SACD that's been decoded @AVR level using a 1-bit chip just for this purpose instead of converting it to 88kHz PCM.
-DD+ decoded digitally @AVR with options.
-TrueHD decoded digitally @AVR w/options.
-DTS-HD decoded digitally @AVR w/options.

and of course, the rest of the current/existing stuff i'm sure will be present.

furthermore... imagine THX certs (selects 1, 2, is there a 3? ultra 2, ultra "3"?).

has this covered everything? will/should there be an HDMI 1.4 (i'm sure the DD+ is just a typo, if not, 1.4 will be needed to rectify that sitution).

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

I'm not concerned. They specifically mention lossless audio formats which need greater bandwidth. Dolby Plus is considered an extension of Dolby Digital and will be supported (as long as the signal device transmits it and there's something that can receive and decode it).

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

Is that what it's converted to? I thought that 192/24 would be the norm with HDMI 1.1. Curiously, there's a 1.2 spec that supports 1 bit audio, but the chatter on this site implies that it's all but unused.

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

I'm not certain, but I would expect the answer to lie in 1.2's specifications. If 1.2 supported it, then current generation HDMI receivers should be able to process it.

But there's always problems, and it's entirely possible that some changes have made it impossible for 1.2 to handle these formats correctly.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Actually, the DD-THD and DTS-HD-MA formats can, in pinciple, be decoded to PCM [since they are nothing but packing formats for PCM] and passed out via HDMI, as can DD+. I believe this feature is implemented, at least as far as 5.1 DD+ and 2.0 THD, on the Toshiba HD DVD unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks