What's new

HD input calibration AVIA/Accupel/HTPC ? (1 Viewer)

Sankar

Second Unit
Hi folks !
Having only recently entered into the world of HDTV, I am struggling to calibrate my 1080i input .. and have made little headway :
I tried the trick of sending the AVIA signal to my VCR using a composite cable, and then sending the RF signal to my DST-3000 which then upconverts it to 1080i .. the resulting quality left much to be desired and the calibrated results did not produce a great picture on native 1080i ..
frown.gif
I've manually adjusted the picture "by eye" but its probably way off.
I see that the Accupel HDG-2000 will do the job .. but its $1000 (and I'll probably need it just once or so to get the black and white levels, color levels, sharpness etc settings) .. too much for my budget. Is there anyplace that one can rent these ? (I doubt, but that would be great!)
Is there any software that will provide the signals in 1080i mode thru the VGA output of a PC ? This can then be converted to YPbPr using Audio Authority or something similar .. has anyone gone down this path ?
Does anyone have any recommendations of someone with the right equipment in the Los Angeles area ? (I learn that Bob McJimsey is not accepting any new appointments now)

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Hi Sankar!
Which model of TV do you own? The amount you can use the Accupel varies with each model. Some TVs wont allow for any service adjustments in HD, others allow for 30 plus HD adjustments.
Just an FYI: HD channels are showing to have the same consistancy of NTSC stations (which is none). Colors vary greatly from station to station.
------------------
The Sonodome
The Newest Sonotube
Gregg's DVDs
The Family Units

Sankar

Second Unit
Hello Gregg!
Actually I have an older Toshiba TW65H80 (the one before the TW65X81 came out). The design mode parameters on these were rather well "hacked", so I have been able to get to the ones that affect the saturation, red push etc.
Its unfortunate that stations do not follow any consistency .. however, I was hoping that I could at least set the colors etc right using a disc like AVIA so that it would hopefully be OK on "average" with the various stations !
I'm considering getting an Audio Authority VGA to Component converter from a local store (no idea who may sell them .. any suggestions in the Los Angeles area ?) to see if it works with my notebook's vga out. (If it does not, hopefully I can return it.) My notebook is able to output 1600x1200, 1400x1050, 1280x1024, 1024x768, 800x600 and 640x480 at 32 bit color (it has an ATI Rage Mobility 128 card built in). I do not know if I can adjust these using a program like PowerStrip (how would I find out without connecting the TV?).
I do not need any of the geometry adjustment patterns from AVIA (can adjust those using the convergence grid and templates), but would like to just get the flashing color bars, and the moving black bars to adjust white and black levels. Would I still need to alter the output resolution of my notebook from the "4:3" modes, or would it just be that the image will just get "squashed" on display (which is fine for adjusting colors etc, right ?)
Thanks
Sankar

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks