What's new

Has anyone with a Harman Kardon AVR320 heard a Logic 7 decoding(?) error? (1 Viewer)

Peter_Al

Auditioning
Might happen with other models too.

I have found what seems to be a glitch with Logic 7 Music on the HK.

If I play song number 8 (I'm looking forward to joining you,finally) Right CD from Nine Inch Nails (The Fragile) it seems to have a decoding? error in Logic 7 Music. During the song a horrible rasping comes out of the rear speakers on certain frequencies (on a electronic background sound in the song). It not a rattle or something loose but sounds more like just noise that's being sent to the speaker. It occurs at any vol. These speakers have handled everything else, loud soft high low. It doesn't happen with any other surround methods, just Logic 7. This is off the original CD and it's not an MP3.

Don't think it's my speakers as they have never given me any trouble with anything I'v played.
Can anyone duplicate this or has anyone heard about anything like this??

Thanks in adv
Pete.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
I have the 225 and have never had a problem with logic 7. I called a friend who has a 520 I believe and he also has never had any trouble with logic 7. I would contact HK and ask the techs.

JeffTodd

Stunt Coordinator
I just got my AVR 320 and thought I would check that for myself.....sure enough, logic 7, track 8. Near the beginning of the song....this nasty noise came from the back left speaker. I dont think I noticed it from the back right channel. I am just using 5.1. I don't normally use logic 7 for music listening, so if it wasnt for this thread I would have never heard that awful noise.

You might want to contact HK to see if they can shed any light.

Peter_Al

Auditioning
Many thanks for the test! I'm breathing a sigh of relief it's not my new speakers.

Peter.

Bill Street

Stunt Coordinator
I imagine there's not much H/K can do about this "error". Since NIN uses a lot of distorted samples/sounds I'm sure it's a peculiarity of the mix Trent Reznor used when he created the song.

Personally I would not call this a Logic 7 error, as I don't believe NIN's intention is to create a soundstage in a traditional sense, so therefore putting that distorted sound in your back left speaker is not technically an incorrect placement of the sound.

You might not notice this when playing the CD in PL II since IMO, Logic 7 seems to be more aggressive in placing sounds away from the front soundstage.

I often get odd sounds from different speakers when playing things like Portishead in Logic 7, but I just chalk it up to the atmospheric "trip-hop" experience.

Bill S.

Peter_Al

Auditioning
Hi Bill,
No the sound is definately not part of Trent's weird samples :). It's a pretty horrible rasping sound that will have you diving for the remote to turn it off as you think your speaker is blowing out.
It is probably due to some of the weird samples NIN uses but I still think it's a problem with logic 7 and how it splits it (NINs samples just show the problem). I hear the same sample in pro logic and stereo and no prob there.
Contacted HK and they said they have not heard any other issues with Logic 7. So I'm taking that as they are not going to look into it and my solution is to not use Logic 7 and that NIN CD :frowning:
Not a real problem as I know now but if anyone else is playing that NIN CD at high vol they will freak when that sound hits.
Pete.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks