What's new

Has anyone used hybrid amps for HT? (1 Viewer)

ChiD

Auditioning
Has anyone mixed hybrid amps for the 3 front channels with
solid state ampsfor the 2 surround channels?
I have a Parasound HCA-750 (75w/ch) for the surrounds and am thinking about getting the Jolida 1703RC, 75w each, for the front 3. I just heard the Jolida amp at a dealer and it was awesome. Ok, so the dealer also had a pair of $6000 speakers.

Now I understand what "warm sounding", "tubey", "3-D soundstage" mean.

Thank you,

Chi

Kevin_R_H

Stunt Coordinator
Chi,

I use tube monoblocks for my 2 Main Speakers, and a Solid State amp for my surrounds (since I have a front projector, I don't use a center channel speaker).

Now keep in mind I am much more of a 2-channel junkie, but when watching a DVD (in surround mode), my Mains and Surrounds sound just fine together.

However, it will probably depend on your speakers, and how they integrate with each other, as well as with the amplification you will be providing.

Good luck,
Kevin

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
I am considering doing the same thing. I have been really looking at a Jolida 302 for my front two speakers and let my Parasound amps run the rest. I am trying to decide if I want to use the Jolida for only 2 channel by adding in a splitter or use it all the time.

Hopefully this will be my Christmas present to myself.

Jeff

ChiD

Auditioning
Kevin,

May I ask what tube monoblocks are you using? How many WPC?
Oh yeah, Christmas is coming.

Chi

Kevin_R_H

Stunt Coordinator
Chi,

My monoblocks are as follows:

KORA Cosmos 100W Triode / Pure Class A / Push-Pull

They are fed by a KORA Eclipse tube preamp.

I have heard two Jolida units, and I have liked them both. Last year, a friend brought over a Jolida hybrid integrated amp, 75W if I remember right. Although shy on the bass (with my hard-to-drive VMPS RM40s), it was a very enjoyable sound overall.

A good friend of mine here in Tampa just got in a Jolida 40W tubed integrated, and I went over to compare against a tube integrated from Antique Sound Labs that he has had for years. The Jolida was a little cleaner in thi mids and highs, but the soundstage it threw up was dwarfed by that of the ASL unit. The speakers were also more evident when driven by the Jolida.

Even though my friend and I heard the exact same qualities (and compromises), we differed on which amp we preferred. I liked the ASL, he liked the Jolida. Of course, since it is his system, he is the only one that matters.

In addition to Jolida and ASL, I have read a few glowing reviews/impressions of inexpensive tube amps from a Chinese company named Cayin. I have never seen or heard them, but I would encourage you to at least research them before you make a decision.

Actually, I'm sure all three of these companies make fine products - they really offer a lot without spending a lot of cash. But that doesn't mean they will sound the same in your system. Only if you get the opportunity to audition all 3 in your home will you really know the pros and cons of each. And I believe the differences will be there for you to hear - but who knows which "compromise" you will prefer?

Kevin

BrianAe

Second Unit
I'd consider using tubes for the front 3 channels and solid state for the surrounds. A very transparent sound stage is important to me and I'd want to ensure that sound matched across the front. Matching with the surrounds is a little less important.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks