Hybrid HK-Nad solution?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff.bart, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Jeff.bart

Jeff.bart Stunt Coordinator

As I narrow down my avr choice for 5-channel HT and 2 channels for a second room, I’m considering a hybrid route. I was thinking of buying an HK 520 for $500 or so and teaming it up with a Nad c270 for about $500. I’d use the Nad to power the front Dahlquist QX10s I plan to buy to handle their 4 ohm load, and ideally get the Nad sound I love in 2-channel playback. I like the sound of Nad over any other receiver I’ve heard.

The HK would power the center, surround rears and main pair of inwall speakers in the second room and provide all the processing. And it doesn’t have a fan, like the 525. Alternatively, I could buy the HK Pa 2000 amp (2 x 110 bridged) instead of the Nad and save $200.

Has anyone here tried this sort of hybrid route with great success? I might just go with one AVR, but I wonder if I will get all the sound I could out of the four-way DX10 tower.

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Jeff,

I think it's a smart plan, especially if you know that you prefer NAD for 2 channel. The extra jack might well be worth it in the long run.

I'm an H/K addict myself but I run a Parasound 855A bi-amping the front towers with an H/K 510 bi-amping the rear towers. The 855 also runs the center which is not bi-wire/bi-amp capable. You just can't have enough good juice.

Good Luck.